Guy goes urban spelunking, finds fully stocked underground safe house

I noticed a weird concrete block with a metal gate on the side of it. I opened it and a latter climb later…

I think by virtue of being later, it was by definition latter.

This jogged a memory of something that’s always made me laugh, an article from years ago about a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie where absolutely everything went wrong during the filming, including this excerpt:

De Souza laughs as he recalls one complicated action scene in which Van Damme had to deliver a few lines. The scene, set in a big industrial room, involved a number of extras, guns and blood packs and squibs — which, when combined, spit red goo from an actor’s costume to simulate a bullet’s impact. For those watching at home, it’s the scene where he jumps out of the mutation chamber.

Van Damme is shooting guns, causing all sorts of mayhem, and he shouts to Chun-Li and Balrog: “Go, go, I’ll catch you later.” Here’s what Van Damme said the first time: “Go, go, I’ll catch you later — cut, cut, cut!”

It’s unusual for an actor to call cut; that’s the director’s role, but Van Damme was sure he’d said “ladder” instead of “later” and he demanded they do it over. De Souza, stunned, noted the crew would need to rematch the bullet holes, rerig the actors who fell from catwalks back on their wires, clean off the costume and replace the blood packs. But Van Damme ordered another take.

While the crew reset everything, Van Damme listened to the audio and realized he’d had it right. De Souza — vindicated, albeit after losing time and resources — decided to shoot the scene again for backup.

Van Damme got in position. De Souza called action. “Go, go,” shouted Van Damme, “I’ll catch you ladder!”

4 Likes

3 Likes

“Fully stocked”? Filled with junk, maybe.

1 Like

Put satchel in front of door. Put junk mail on satchel. Press button.

4 Likes

(One of my faves in the JVCD_MMM Challenge was this one.)

Here’s the american equivalent. Dude in Arkansas buys a Titan Missle Silo to refurbish and documents it. The early shows are particularly cool when they go inside after removing the rubble from when it was destroyed due to Russian Treaties.

1 Like

Seriously. It looks more like a stock room for some emergency situations. I didn’t see any food stuff. Lots of tents and gas masks and raincoats and garbage.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.