Hair salon refuses service to transgender and queer patrons, suggests they go to "pet groomer" instead

As an Irish American, I have to say…

Weighing Options GIF

13 Likes

What I meant was, more generally, signs that openly say “All are welcome, except the following groups.”

Given the recent SCOTUS rulings, what’s to stop someone from posting a sign that says “Help Wanted. Trans Folks Need Not Apply.”

14 Likes

Fair enough. And yeah, we’re already seeing that.

15 Likes

More like “Studio H8”.

Fuck them.

Also:

“and any haircut not deemed “normal” for their gender.”

Does that include a pixie cut or the quintessential Karen Kut? Are those “too short” for a woman?

What about back when I had a pony tail?

Absolute goonery. And this is why I supported “forcing” people to bake a cake. You can’t just not serve a section of the population based on inherent qualities.

8 Likes

This is difficult because I don’t want to patronize places like this, overtly or inadvertently, but that can only be the case if they have signs like this.

2 Likes

From now on, you can only get a haircut if the salon decides your requested style complies with the principles of INGSOC

5 Likes

14 Likes

This can’t be an isolated event, when recently attending a my michigan township meeting people were aroused by the fact that certain folks were being “bussed” to the area. One woman nearly fainted when she explained to the maga crowd within the attendees she, “saw a trans person wearing a dress get off the bus and he had a mustache”.
Theres was so many dumb ignorant statements spewed that night, it would be hilarious if it were a movie about small town bigotry, but sadly it actually happened.

This lady with her business, doesn’t even know what she’s being an ignorant racist bigot about and is now suffering a just backlash from the community.

9 Likes

So their business model will either be catering to the shittiest people in town, and/or claiming they’ve been cancelled and crowdfunding their way to riches.

7 Likes

Weird. Historically, those “certain people” are POC.

Hello from Washtenaw County, fellow Michigan resident. Sorry about your township. :grimacing:

14 Likes

I think she knows exactly what she’s doing; at the very least, it’s negative attention seeking.

13 Likes

@joed’s point is If the salon loses two thirds of their patronage and is forced out of business because they’ve been revealed as a bunch of bigots, everyone will have to drive an hour to get a haircut. It’s the same thing, but now the number of successful bigots in Traverse City has been decreased by one.

His opinion appears to be that’s a better outcome than if the bigot just kept their stupid mouth shut. I get that, and these days punishment of the guilty often seems more satisfying than tolerating them. But I’d rather have the bigot keep their mouth shut and harmoniously serve every customer, and maybe they’ll eventually learn that they were wrong to listen to other bigots in the first place.

7 Likes

That’s probably crediting her with more intelligence than she has - I suspect it was purely about dehumanizing them.

That’s just baffling to me, as just during my lifetime, the popular haircuts for men and women have changed so often, and so drastically, that I can’t think of a single basic hairstyle that hasn’t been sported by both men and women. (Even really specific haircuts - Chris Pine was recently sporting ‘The Rachel’. Men with “beehives” aka “he-hives,” sure - especially men with long dreads/braided hair.) Long hair on men and short hair on women? Hell, that ship sailed (centuries) before I was born. So whose totally arbitrary, high sub-culture specific notion of “normal” are they even using? The implication seems to be that they’re saying, “We’re only going to give you whatever popular 1950s-style haircuts were given to those of your assigned-gender-at-birth.”

9 Likes

The article talks about how she posted a rant on her social and she cited the wrong bill that made her out herself in the first place. Can’t make this ish up! :rofl:

Now one of the hair product supplier is pulling their rug on her.

5 Likes

So that’s their professional advice as licensed (whatever the license is called), right? Seems like giving such advice might violate the terms. I wonder if those who tried to follow it can sue to have the license revoked?

2 Likes

EDIT: Jinxed by so. many. people. That’s what I get for having a busy work day, I guess.
:: orders a pallet of coke for the group ::

As a genderqueer ace furry, the bad excuse of a ‘grooming’ joke just makes me shake my head sadly. Some people’s children…

Also to wit:

JOIN OR DIE. (shop is queer owned, queer run, and generally all around awesome people.)

9 Likes

damn straight! it also gives the fascists a way to develop collaborators along the way. meanwhile we have the horrific competition between my governor, greg abbott, and florida’s ron desantis to see which one can kill the most of their citizens.

7 Likes

Don’t forget auctioning off your “surplus” equipment, aka “pulling a Lindell.”

9 Likes

Temped to order a giant propped-up funeral wreath to be delivered to their storefront to “celebrate” their impending closure.

8 Likes

Agreed. A few years ago when the “Christian baker - gay wedding” case was moving forward, a Jewish former-coworker kept insisting that because the business was a sole-proprietorship, they were free to discriminate.

I replied “As a thought experiment, replace the word “gay” with “Jews” and you’ll get why you’re wrong.” - Needless to say he didn’t get it.

6 Likes