Halloween safety video from 1977

Gotta love the cat photobombing at 2:34 kudos to the production team!

I don’t mind. Reminds me of our cat who looked exactly the same in '77.

1 Like

What’s wrong with Bosc pears? They are the best pear.

When I was a kid an old neighbor lady made a point of stocking up on little boxes of golden raisins just because I like them so much.

2 Likes

Terrible idea. As I’ve always taught my children, “trick or treat” is a threat.

2 Likes

Oh, man - I hated those costumes!

You can see the sadness in the kid’s eyes through the tiny eyeholes.

6 Likes

You did not see Elmo dancing? Or that other fellow?

ITA with you: Bosc for the win!

2 Likes

Yeah. They were probably really unsafe due to the poor visibility, too.

3 Likes

ELEVEN minutes. They should have done a safety video about TV and the futurenet destroying my attention span.

1 Like

I was surprised that the video mentioned poisoned candy and blades in fruit back in the 70’s. My parents were paranoid about it, but I always thought that was just another one of the 80’s scares like the tylenol poisonings or the D&D scare.

Do the kids actually get anything other than “Go away kid! Come back Halloween evening!”? That must be really depressing. Around here they occasionally postpone it if the sidewalks are covered with snow and ice on Halloween, but that’s understandable.

I remember those, all based on some licensed cartoon character or toy. Flimsy and they smelled funny. But for something that’s going to be worn once for about an hour or so in the dark and then thrown out, they made sense. The homemade costumes with cheap makeup were better though, and not more expensive.

The Tylenol poisonings were real, and the safety measures taken in their wake were perfectly sensible.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.