Hamilton County sheriffs replace U.S. flag at justice center with police "thin blue line" flag

No. It did not. Maybe think about how you phrase something?

8 Likes

Protip;

Friends don’t off-handledly talk down to one another while claiming to support them.

6 Likes

I remember Trump didn’t know what the stars and stripes stood for. I don’t know if the people who designed this knew they represented states or not, but coloring one blue to make a symbolic “police state” is very on point either way.

12 Likes

I guess that I didn’t see where I was talking down to Mindy. I apologize.

2 Likes

While I can appreciate you owning it, instead of just doubling down relentlessly, (which is genuinely a nice change of pace around here) I’m not the person to apologize to, especially if you mean it.

@Mindysan33 is.

Thanks, & have a good night; stay safe.

6 Likes

Just wondering which song from Hamilton would apply here.

1 Like

I think you did a pretty good job! Blue line protecting the whites and government, from the “rest” of society is how I read it. Really great concept!

1 Like

I don’t know. If I didn’t see an American flag in front of every school and post office and in people’s front yards and in store windows—and if everyone wasn’t “encouraged” to sing the national anthem before baseball games—and on and on and on, I’m pretty sure I’d forget where I live.

God bless… [checks outside, sees 759 American flags]… the USA!

3 Likes

Hopefully, Guns & Ships through Yorktown.

4 Likes

Agree completely!

3 Likes

Agreed, though I was trying for a separation as well. In my mind, the blue line is keeping the other colors down and separated from the white above.

That’s supposed to be white, anyway. The colors didn’t reproduce as well as I had hoped, so I’ll blame my computer and not my artistic prowess :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I hadn’t considered the stars representing the government also being separated and protected (along with the white).

I’m so bad at art interpretation I can’t even interpret my own “art”.

4 Likes

i always thought it endearing that every ramshackle cafe and fine dining restaurant in turkey had a picture of ataturk. people were firmly proud of his autocratic transition of the country to secular democracy.

i think it was also an fu to people who wanted to bring back the islamic state, and an fu to people like their current president.

so maybe sometimes the meaning matters

3 Likes

Agreed. Totally.

As a side note - The last time I was in Northern Ireland was a couple of years back. I went to Enniskillen and the place was covered in Pride flags. It was amazing!

3 Likes

The protester is an American. The police that is beating him down is an American. When the thin blue line flag is raised, it switches from “us” in America to “us and them” in America.

4 Likes

Well, sometimes it takes a while to fully appreciate the artwork. That also applies to the artist themselves.

That flag of yours is a great way to illustrate what‘s wrong in the US. It deserves much more attention. You could stick a CC license (maybe even CC0) to it and it would probably spread really well through twitter and then the news outlets.

https://informationisbeautiful.net might be another place to put it.

If I were to offer a suggestion, I’d say somehow bringing people in the upper and lower half might make it more clear to some people, maybe a bit like this:

5 Likes

Regarding the “international attitudes to flags” debate, an old post:

3 Likes

Good art can have multiple interpretations. The stars represent the states, which are bodies of government. YMMV.

Eh. IMO that is unnecessary and clutters up the previously clean look.

Only possible suggestion is making the stars pure white to sort of both pop and draw more attention that the white field is skin color. But it works great as is.

1 Like

As one protestor said the other day, there’s no such thing as “blue lives.”

You can choose not to be a cop. You can’t choose not to be black.

7 Likes

Burn that fucker.