Hamilton's Pharmacopeia is a docu-series about psychoactive substances

Originally published at: Hamilton's Pharmacopeia is a docu-series about psychoactive substances | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I never did PCP (at least intentionally, there was one incident where I strongly suspect I might have been unwittingly dosed with it decades ago), but if you were to tell me it wasn’t as awful/horrific as portrayed in every after school special or D.A.R.E presentation I would be SHOCKED I tell you SHOCKED.

6 Likes

You can’t throw a stone without hitting some old hippie who is got the acid trip story of stories to tell in Joshua Tree & surrounding area. My only question is where do I find that acid y’all been talking about?

6 Likes

Wyllie’s book Dolphins, Extraterrestrials, and Angels is a real hoot. He and I exchanged letters. Such a sweet guy.

I tried PCP one day, in the company of an au fait couple, C and G. (Trying a new drug w/at least one well-experienced companion is always wise.) We rolled and smoked the PCP-infused mint leaves they’d bought from a nearby friend. Nothing mad nor bad happened, but it literally felt edgy. I had no similar desire, but I then understood a GF’s tale of chasing her little brother around the house w/a kitchen knife after having too much of it.
jaw
It felt like I was right on the edge of mayhem.

C had a late teenage autistic cousin who was then all but non-verbal, and didn’t make eye contact. He also partook. His repetitive actions slowed down and disappeared after a few drags. G told me about a past serious session with him, and conversationally asking him at one point, “Hey, what’s happening?” He looked around, then looked G right in the eye, and said, “The world.”*

I never had it again, which is fine. I did find it enjoyable most of the time. Knowledge of that particular drug allowed me to V quickly tell if pot was laced with it and warn others.

*Decades later, G told me C’s cousin had become far more neurotypical in his early 20s, and almost overnight. He went to college (where his genius soon became apparent), found a great job, married a wonderful woman, and they have children.

2 Likes

One of my friends did it unwittingly and from what he was able to recall, it was pretty horrific, like can’t walk on the sidewalk because you’ll die bad. He has eaten a lot of acid and taken plenty of other drugs so I’m trusting him.

Also, Flea’s autobiography, “Acid for the Children,” has a chapter where he talks about doing bong rips of PCP with a friend and what a bummer trip that was that he never, ever repeated. And this is someone who shot cocaine to the point of psychosis, so I’m trusting him.

As a child of the 1970s/1980s I also remember the hysteria around angel dust but I think I’m hard passing.

1 Like

That’s PCP! You ever seen what this stuff does to kids?
tumblr_lxypsozntV1qka3zuo1_500

2 Likes
1 Like

I had friends in college who did it intentionally a few times. They said it was fine/fun they also decided to go streaking during their experience (which to me sounds stupid AF and could’ve turned the whole experience from “youthful college hijinks” into being arrested or similar). There was a group of them and that’s the only first hand account I have ever had related to me about such an experience. Exceedingly small sample size yes. My sample size of being lied to about drugs by the media/police/government though? much bigger. /shrug.

1 Like

I’m not sure I follow the logic here with this statement, like to me that’s a reason not to trust them.

I’m saying dude knows from bad drugs, so I am trusting him on his assessment of PCP as a bad drug ™.

1 Like

From what I’ve read online, and my of course slightly less expansive firsthand experience, there is at least one group putting out good, clean, consistent blotter for the past couple few years. Check with your friendly neighborhood shrubber, one that you presume stocks other things too.

3 Likes

There’s liquid out there and it is incredible.

2 Likes

Well now that leaves me with the same awkward question @Papasan posed.

1 Like

You want the psytrance crowd. The music is (IMO) terrible, but they sure do get the best drugs. Hit them up day or night, they’re always awake.

2 Likes

I guess, but it almost sounds like dude is bad with drugs and possibly he’s the problem? I guess that’s the problem with anecdotes of one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.