Hans Zimmer's Pink Floyd cover for the new Dune movie trailer

Hans Zimmer is ground zero for that specific thing. The dramatic crumps and thumps too. I was a little surprised by how mainstream the sound design of the trailer was – there’s even a ka-shing! noise when the revend mother whips out the poison needle.

But then that’s what Jodorowsky’s talking about, isn’t it, when he says it’s all good but it’s also got to be a blockbuster and that’s an industrial product with specifications.

I would bet that the thing that’s going to disappoint people is what’s not there and the streamlining of everything. Maybe no emperor, no Irulan. Maybe no guild navigator. People keep saying “I guess Feyd turns up in part 2” but it’s just as likely they rolled the character into Beast—who is just ‘Beast’ now, not “Glossu Rabban-Harkonnen, Count of Lankiveil, The Beast and Mudir Nahya of Arrakis” or whatever is in the book.

You’ll see only elements of the Dune universe you absolutely need to to tell the “Atreides go to Dune and die there, but Paul is special” story. But that’s fine from a moviemaking perspective: people will actually enjoy the action adventure of that, and get into the broader universe when they go online and talk about it. And get more of that in the (already filmed) part 2.

I have an open bet with someone here from a couple of years ago that the movie wouldn’t contain the phrase “Bene Gesserit” in dialog. Just “The Sisterhood” or “witches” or whatever. Likewise ‘Kwizatz haderach’. Dune the book is full of mumbo jumbo that is mercilessly confusing as dialog. This sank Lynch-Dune from the outset. Even if I lose the bet specifically I’m absolutely sure I’ll win it generally.

2 Likes

Use of the orchestrated cover of one of the most heard songs ever COMPLETELY pulled me out of what should have been a wonderful, long awaited reveal of one of the most iconic creatures and moments in SF.

This choice COMPLETELY reeks of 'industrial cinema, in that, someone in some corporate boardroom decided that it needs a cover of a popular song to ‘punch up the scene’, when the just the ACTUAL reveal of this imagery - the brave crossing of the sand by our heroes, reaching the rocks, and the sandworm reveal SHOULD have been enough, but…no…

At this point it feels like the money people said" Okay Denis. You HAD your art film disguised as a sequel that was UTTERLY beautiful, confusing, misunderstood, and…lost a lot of money. On THIS film…we need a hit…I have quite a few notes…"

The choice of the cover of Eclipse, and quite a few other choices are tempering my anticipation of this movie to a VERY low point. I despise the design of the stillsuits - WAY too much Designer-itis. Straps, belts, multiple panels, nooks, crannies, off the shelf motorcycle gloves…I cannot even IMAGINE how much dust and sand and crap these things would absorb and carry Everywhere…Ugh…In the book they are described as slick, incredibly sophisticated, easy moving, and something that will absolutely NOT hinder you as you fight

Armor? Why is there Armor EVERYWHERE in this trailer? Armor that won’t even let Leto turn his head without colliding with his chin? NON-functional armor on actors is ludicrous in this day and age, but besides that, this universe has shield technology. Also, Armor? in dust and Sand? sounds like a fine way to not move quickly, get filled up with sand, and have things break down…

The ornithopters are described as “cranking out the wings for maximum lift” and 'pulling in the wings for speed and stealth" Designed to glide if things break down FROM ALL THE SAND AND DUST while in the air. Dragonfly wings, except on a dragnofly are SO not practical and subject to LOTS of moving parts and…breakdowns…and look a LOT like the ships in John Carter…

I guess my point is, if you are not going to bother to use the rich descriptions, described technology, and designs that ACTUALLY make sense and create a believable world and are incredibly intrinsic to the universe, the characters, and the story why are you bothering?

Some of these choices seem like they are ‘Doing a Lynch’ and just adding or modifying things without paying attention to HOW they affect the story or universe…

Yes…I know the movie is not out yet, and…I still have hopes that it’s NOT as bad as the revealed designs and choices seem to suggest…

But Eclipse? gah…yes. Definitely leads me to agreeing with Jodorowsky towards the ‘Industrial Cinema’ insult…

One advantage that Denis Villeneuve’s movies have is that they do not insult the audience, they leave room for finding details. That is why I am looking forward to this movie.

Oh, and one aspect I hope comes out that is often overlooked, the way Paul exploited messianic groundwork laid by the Bene Gesserit’s Missionara Protectiva. He and his mother were able to exploit generations of manipulation. The Emperor is not really that important, I feel, nor the Harkonnens, except to provide antagonists. The real plot is how Jessica and her son Paul upset generations of planning and plotting, seemingly breaking free of planned fate, only to bring about the fate all feared.

2 Likes

As usual I will endeavor to temper any expectations before watching the adaptation as they only ever seem to hinder the journey!

I’m quick to criticise but at the end of the day I’d happily lap up any adaptaion of Herbert’s story (big budget or small, camp and colourful or gritty realism) as long as there’s talent and love for the material involved.

The story is so good I was drawn to it after encountering it’s derivatives (PC games Mega-Lo-Mania and DuneⅡ and The Wheel of Time books with it’s Aes Sedai and The Game of Houses). I think it still holds up today.

I’m re-listening to Dune on audiobook after many years and was imagining the spelling as “Bene Jesuit”!

I just don’t know where one would start or end trying to edit the author’s wording for a broad modern film audience. I just wouldn’t start I guess.

edit:links

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.