Hans Zimmer's Pink Floyd cover for the new Dune movie trailer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/16/hans-zimmers-pink-floyd-cove.html

2 Likes

I continue to look forward to a time when movie trailers don’t:

1. include a moody remix of a classic song
  2. blare the orchestral klaxon
  3. reveal unecessary amounts of plot.

I feel Jordorowsky’s criticism applies here too…

…no surprises. The form is identical to what is done everywhere…everything is predictable.

Can’t wait to watch though…

6 Likes

Nothing takes me out of an immersive trailer harder than recognizing a cover tune. This one, I particularly hate. Please make it stop. I’d rather hear the soundtrack from Dragonheart in a thousand trailers than one more pop-rock tune covered as a funeral dirge.

5 Likes

I like this, but I also like Pink Floyd and a good book.

There is no dark side of Dune, really.
Matter of fact It’s all dark.

Outside of a Shai-hulud, a book is a human’s best friend.
Inside of Shai-hulud it’s too dark to read.

3 Likes

Not sure what all the complaints are about. I love the original and I think Zimmer did a great job with this remix, which is just about exactly as moody as the Floyd original.

2 Likes

But why not Toto?

3 Likes

I agree in general with the plot reveal in trailers criticism, but not in the specific case of Dune.

I think Dune, and almost any movie based off a seminal book, is like Romeo and Juliet. The story is widely known. Showing either Romeo or Juliet – or both! – dead in the trailer doesn’t spoil the plot. The only surprise is in the interpretation and execution. In this, I agree with Jordorowsky: the trailer looks to follow the “Epic Sci-Fi Movie” template. Lots of monochromatic scenes, vast Epic sweeps, futuristic, yet somehow diesel/steampunk retro eye candy CG scenes. It looks good, but not original.

I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I don’t expect there to be any genre defining moments in the movie, like bullet time in the Matrix, the CGI dinosaur reveal in Jurassic Park, or pretty much all of Star Wars, A New Hope.

Still looking forward to plunking down ten bucks to watch it.

6 Likes

If they wanted to cover something as the film’s theme, why not this?

5 Likes

that’s the end of Lynch’s Dune

He’s saving it for Dune Messiah…

2 Likes

Oh I know. I own the vinyl! (yes I’m that old)

And for all of the horrible mess that the Lynch version was, I still love it for what what it did accomplish.

2 Likes

I look forward to torrenting this movie.

Rosanna?

Weird choice but OK.

2 Likes

Make him the cutest that I’ve ever seen!

3 Likes

Arrakis has two moons. This track needs more specificity!

3 Likes

Do we have to measure the angular vector?

1 Like

What do I look like, a Navigator?

(Don’t answer that)

2 Likes

Did everyone ever tell you that you have the prettiest blue eyes?

2 Likes

Damn, I came here all excited, but yeah, you nailed it. Still like the moody remix though.

1 Like

Yeah, but when you start it at the same time as the opening scene of the Wizard of Oz does it sync perfectly with the action?

4 Likes