Happy 40th Birthday to Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"

Mmm… I’ve not had issue with that for years. Obscured by Clouds, Meddle and the second half of The Wall - in that order. Wish you were here is great, don’t get me wrong, but everyone must figure out their own favorite Floyd for themselves (preferably after 100’s of hours of listening).

I still have the poster up. Dude looks super cool, with that hair and that suit.

The Final Cut.

Damn. It’s dark outside, so I’ll have to take a fresh picture tomorrow. I’ve mentioned it here before, but the cover photo was taken just outside my old office from when I worked on The Mentalist, here on the Warner Bros lot in Burbank.

This is what it looked like a bit over three years ago:

As an unrelated aside, our old office space in that building just behind camera and to the left seems to be currently occupied by one Z. Snyder, along with a D. Snyder, and a D. Brenner. Wonder what they could be working on?

8 Likes

Blah. I can’t figure out why people like this shit. Mid-70s Pink Floyd represented everything that was wrong with popular music at that time - bloated, pompous, overproduced.
Thank God punk rock soon came along and destroyed all of this.

1 Like

Clearly. It’s completely disappeared. And in the post punk era and beyond, there are no other genres left at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I like punk and agree that god, she is likely a punker. (She’d never say it to your face though.)

1 Like

In those days bands sometimes played albums in their entirety, live, before they were released. So it is not so strange that you heard it before most others did.

Why call yourself anything? Just enjoy the music and forget about the labels.

http://img5.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/4/e/4eakg8k176xxe4k6.jpg?djet1p5k

You might find that the animosity from ‘punks’ against the ‘boring old farts’ was mainly just grandstanding for the plebs.

“Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?”

I am talking about the music, not about any animosity between different groups of people, about which I couldn’t care less.

Oh for fucks sake the production on that album is superb. Anyone who can exist in the age of the loudness wars and talk about over production on a mid 70’s Pink Floyd album needs their head examined.

5 Likes

Well, in that case you are just plain wrong.

You don’t think Abba and Wings were bloated, pompous and overproduced? If you check out the lists of best selling artists and albums of the era, you will find no punk sensibilities there at all.

IE, punk rock did not destroy anything.

is that cowboy bebop on ur profile?

2 Likes

Don’t listen - they’re just jealous.

2 Likes

Which one were you hoping for?

1 Like

No, <a href=“http://www.allmusic.com/artist/steely-dan-mn0000011707"target=”_blank">Steely Dan is what’s wrong with music from the 70’s.

2 Likes

Everything was awesome about it except the cheesy rocket that flew into the big round screen. The video they played on that screen during Dark Side of the Moon was sublime

1 Like

A reasonable assumption

Congratulations, you win the “Wrongest Opinion” prize for this thread.

3 Likes