Happy birthday, Easy-Bake Oven!

Originally published at: Happy birthday, Easy-Bake Oven! | Boing Boing

2 Likes

8 Likes

Whoa, hold up… they still make Easy-Bake Ovens? I just assumed there was no way those things could coexist with 21st-century safety standards… or LED light bulbs.

1 Like

Happy underdone birthday, Easy-Bake Oven!

FTFY, @Rusty_Blazenhoff

9 Likes

They have a heating element now.

I’m very disappointed by the “look.” Why not make it look like a real oven?

4 Likes

My nieces had an EZ-Bake.

For Christmas, maybe 18 years ago, I bought them a set of mixes, and a cookbook with do-it-yourself recipes. It came with a set of tiny spoons (like, 1/16th of a tsp) so you could put in the proper amount of baking powder and spices.

9 Likes

I’m still a bit resentful that I never got an easy bake oven as a child. But then I console myself with the fact that I’m a grown-up now and I can have cake whenever I want.

11 Likes

I asked for one and instead got a collection of cake mixes and such. But since they were for “real food” my mother did most of the work.

6 Likes

A neighbor had one, and had replaced the 60w bulb with a 150w. This made the baking actually work, until the toy melted then caught on fire. Fun times.

8 Likes

I have a memory of receiving/using the gift of a toy that was small child-sized pans and utensils, and appropriately-small boxed mixes for cake and cookies, but they were for use in the regular kitchen oven.

This, so much this!! Come on over for cake whenever you want :smiley:

5 Likes

Hey @Mindysan33 - that’s the ad that got me my 1967 Christmas present!

My mother wouldn’t buy more of the little individual mixes for me, and for reasons lost to time refused let me use her cake mixes. But I loved that oven!

ETA: And I, too, make cakes anytime I want now!

4 Likes

Godfather 2__If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake

6 Likes

I really wanted one as a boy. I can still hear my exasperated Dad say “Don’t you want a gun instead?” I got a child-sized wood saw on my birthday that kinda looked like a dueling pistol.

5 Likes

I never had one as a kiddo…

If I’m being honest, I prefer making pies to cakes. My husband makes a pretty excellent pound cake, though…

6 Likes

vSsAhjC

9 Likes

5 Likes

I had the EZ Bake Oven’s lesser known cousin, the Pancake Griddle. Still cooked with a 60W bulb, but pancakes were more forgiving.

3 Likes

You’d think that something that came out in 1963 would be nuclear powered, but nooo…

5 Likes

If you haven’t watched Trixie Mattel use Easy-Bake Ovens from various decades, are you really even living?

The nuclear version only makes yellow cake

5 Likes