Happy Fourth of May!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/04/happy-fourth-of-may.html

7 Likes

Obligs…

11 Likes

Check out Paul Schaffer on the piano

7 Likes

Given SNL’s history, I have a feeling that the 6 inches of white powder they were talking about wasn’t snow.

7 Likes

I was thinking about watching the newest one but I only got as far as remembering the last two and uttering “ugh”.

2 Likes

3 Likes

To celebrate, time to catch up on Clone Wars Season 7 and the Mandalorian.
Both far better than the Sequel Trilogy and proof of how to do callbacks and nostalgic references right.

Dave Filoni literally saved Star Wars from itself.

1 Like

You made it further than I ever did.

2 Likes

I saw it. It was better than prequels 2 & 3. But far worse than Return of the Jedi (despite callbacks) and definitely showed signs of last minute script changes/editing. Still better viewing than paint drying.

Well, if you’re in need of a third Death Star story, you may need to catch up. Especially if you would like it to be even more outlandish and absurd than the first two.

1 Like

4th if you count Rogue One.

2 Likes

I’m giving it a pass because it was referring to the first(?) Death Star. But yeah, they could really use some new ideas.

ETA: If anyone can provide said ideas, this is the guy.

1 Like

Hot Take: The writing for the Clone Wars isn’t actually any better than the writing for any of the newer movies. It just seems that way because cartoonish dialogue and nonsensical character choices are a lot easier to enjoy when they’re coming from actual cartoon characters.

2 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

I was so sure the last one would end with 3 death stars the rebels would have to sneak onto simultaneously. I was disappoint.

3 Likes

Then you’ll have to face the revenge of the fifth.

2 Likes

Especially true with any arc involving Jar-Jar.

But the show also managed to work in well worn but appreciated cliches of war films such as a mutiny against a general who is casual with casualties, “freedom fighter or terrorist”… Plus they stole obviously from a couple of Hitchcock films.

At least they knew who to take from.

1 Like

I dunno, man. You can point to some bad arcs/episodes. But you can point to some superior ones as well. Clone Wars managed to actually make me care for new characters, which most of the new films have not. Granted they had a longer time to do it, and more freedom to experiment and fail.

But TV show arcs and movie arcs are different. They have whole classes and books on who to write a screen play that works, and other than Rogue One, I don’t think the screen plays have worked.

Happy sequel! Revenge of the Sixth.