Happy Independence Day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/04/happy-independence-day.html

15 Likes

Most of who?

1 Like

I assume BoingBoing has the ability to see where most visitors access their website from and that a majority of those visitors are in the United States. So “most of you” means “most people reading this.”

20 Likes

So you’re saying that my elaborate set-up to re-route all my VPN traffic through a server in the sleepy Kentish village of Walmington-on-Sea is all for naught, and i’m revealed for the dirty yank as i am??

23 Likes

“This deal’s getting worse all the time!”

6 Likes
7 Likes
21 Likes

Fuglesang’s Twitter (and radio show) are so great.

13 Likes

It’s divisive to focus on just this one subset. All countries matter.

7 Likes

“So wrong! Fake news! We’re destroying it from the inside! Totally! It’s gonna be yuuuge. Largest destruction you have ever seen.”

5 Likes

TRUMPISTS: The Left is trying to erase our nation’s history and Founding Fathers!

PROGRESSIVES: Sorry, did you say something? We were watching “Hamilton.”

14 Likes

10 Likes

Here are Frederick Douglass’ descendants reading his 4th of July speech:

The Root has the text up… worth reading/listening to, but most especially this year…

Happy Independence day, my fellow mutants. May this country one day finally live up to it’s high ideals or may it rot in the dustbin of history if it doesn’t.

20 Likes

Except, only in the movie were there Americans. I’ve read “The Great Escape” and there were few Americans, and they were moved to another area or camp, so tyey weren’t part of the escape.

The movie is great, but it doesn’t really represent the people involved, and of course has Americans, and that scene, for American audiences.

The actual escape took place in 1944, March 24. The real US participation happened after a long build up, so early prisoners of war would have been mostly air crew shot down, until D-Day, which was June 1944.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Phhbt. Hollywood.
When they made a movie about Canada’s Northwest rebellion, for some reason they threw in Gary Cooper as a Texas Ranger who shows up chasing a fugitive. The real story of the Northwest Rebellion lead by Louis Riel would have made a much more interesting movie.

5 Likes

Cute joke, but do progressives really like Hamilton? I just watched it today and despite the use of actors of color, it pretty much is a traditional “weren’t the Founding Fathers great?” thing similar to the earlier 1776 musical. There’s a brief acknowledgement that Jefferson was an enslaver, but absolutely none about Washington and that even Hamilton himself was until having a change of heart.

2 Likes

It was one of the subtler bits in the musical, but during the “epilogue” where Eliza listed her many achievements after Hamilton’s death there’s a part where the specter of Washington visibly hangs his head in a moment of shame when she gets to the part about continuing the fight to end slavery.

I haven’t watched the screen version yet so I’m not sure how well they captured those kinds of moments.

7 Likes

Nations aren’t usually all that big on celebrating their defeats, so the 4th went fairly unremarked for me. However…

I’ll drink to that.

8 Likes

New conspiracy theory, China manufactured Covid19 to boost fireworks sales.

Seriously. Wow.

I stayed home all day, but I went out about 10pm and it was was literally thick with smoke and the smell of sulfur hung in the air. Granted I live in a bit of a depression, but I don’t ever recall hearing so many fire works all around. I guess with most of the big shows canceled, everyone went out and over did it.

I, like a good American, cleaned all my guns instead of fireworks. Managed to poink the cap to the recoil spring of a 1911 in to orbit… sigh. I heard it land among some boxes, but if you knew my apartment you know that doesn’t really narrow it down much. It will be easier to just order another one… or three in case this happens again. GF watched me do that via snap chat for extra humor.

Re-watched The Shining as well. Still a solid film.

1 Like