Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I wish I was not so afraid of baking failures. I guess like most food 99% of the time it is still ‘eatable’.
( if that’s a word? )

5 Likes

There should indeed be a word that captures that meaning better than “edible” does. Maybe “palatable” gets close? Edible of course merely means “can be eaten.”

5 Likes

Anybody try this garlic trick?

2 Likes

I’ve never tried that trick. I use this method to peel them:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yep! That’s what I do too. A classic and reliable method indeed.
Julia and Jack. :heart:

7 Likes

“Yes, but…”

Kent’s video (I’m assuming you may not have watched it) specifically adds a step to that trick (first cutting around the root, to sever the connection of the cloves to the root) before popping the cloves out with the point of the knife. (The extra cutting step starts at 2:13.) It appears to insure success, although it does of course add to the time it takes to do the job.

2 Likes

I did watch it.

His video was a response to the video at the topic link I posted.

3 Likes

Yes— Sorry, I had thought you were just saying that it had been posted about on BB, so I was trying to let folks here know that this one added something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid of baking.
Start with easy stuff, like plain bread or a batch of cookies. They’re hard to mess up, except for forgetting to set timers. If you can follow directions, you can bake.

7 Likes

Good point!
Thank you.

2 Likes

That’s a non-starter for me. I don’t want to have to go through and cut the whole bulb base when most of the time, I’m only using 2-3 cloves. I have one of the silicone tubes that makes it fast and easy.

I hope that dude is making a big batch of pesto.

3 Likes

A Gibson made with butterfly pea flower gin (Ink Gin brand). Pickled onions contribute to my five-a-day, surely?

As pretty as it was the Ink isn’t really a Gibson gin. My new go-to is two (and a bit) ounces of Roku with a bottle-cap of Noilly Prat, stirred until properly diluted, served with two small onions (and a few drops of onion vinegar from the jar).

11 Likes

That is gorgeous!

6 Likes

I tried this last night with a common sweet potato and it is amazing!
The one I had was pretty large so I added 30 minutes to both the freezing and baking.
From Chief Lucas Sin:
Recreating this gooey, sugar-oozing sweet potato is simple, and from his home kitchen, Sin shared the process to Instagram: Scrub a few small sweet potatoes of any variety and put them into the freezer for an hour or two. Then, roast them on parchment paper or aluminum foil at 450 degrees. After an hour or so, once caramelized sugar is seeping from the potatoes and trapped steam has separated the skin from the flesh, they’re finished. But as the chef points out, it’s near impossible to overcook a sweet potato, the sugars becoming more concentrated as they cook.

5 Likes

Judging by our respective posts it’s clearly been a Very Purple 24 hours in BBS Food land!

I’ve never seen a sweet potato so deeply purple before. Amazing.

6 Likes

Yes! Your purple post reminded me of mine.
And this too:

5 Likes

Purple stuff FTW!
I would like to add that in that same time, our purple bok choy has sprouted in the “greens” garden and we are also planting for a second year purple long beans, purple pole beans and purple tomatillos! there will be much purple cooking and
salad-ing coming up!

9 Likes

With so many vegetables available in so many colors,why is cabbage only red and green?

4 Likes
10 Likes