Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

That sounds SO good. Did you still have to triple dredge or was the goat milk marinade enough to bind the panko?

3 Likes

Great tip! Thank you.

3 Likes

Single dredge in panko while pretty damp.

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks.

2 Likes

Get these the heck away from Me! #TraderJoes

5 Likes

9 Likes

Venetian style liver and onions (which, as far as I can tell “Venetian” is because you soak some raisins in balsamic vinegar and add them to the mix at the end) made into pot pies:

I followed a recipe for the liver, then added some chicken stock and thickener to get more sauce. Homemade pie crusts care of Mr.Linkey.
Not super photogenic, but very good! And something about eating liver in the winter feels very nourishing.
Next time I’d add some potatoes and maybe peas to stretch it out a bit and make it a little less rich.

13 Likes

I have be using Nourish Essentials wide mouth vacuum tops for a while.
After trying at least 4 other fermenting gadgets this one works the best.
Only problem I have had is the hand pump. I have taken it apart and replaced o’ring to keep it going. Recently I got an idea and started shopping around on Amazon or an electric pump. To my great surprise my first choice worked great!

Vacuum Sealer Cordless Vacuum Pump,Heatless Mini Portable Handhold Kitchen Food Storage Wine Vacuum Pump + Resuable Bpa-Free Food Sealer Bage Sous Vide Bad In Various Sizes-Fits Any Sous Vide Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CR8TM6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_70AKZBH29TV5TFRZ8173

5 Likes

The wife made an apple pie for the first time. We’re waiting for it to cool down.

Semi from scratch. The crust is puff pastry sheets again.

12 Likes

Saw this in the refrigerator tonight.
I am afraid to ask.
But if there are tadpoles in it tomorrow I am going to lose my stuff. :frog:

8 Likes

Looks like someone is soaking chia.

9 Likes

Looks like Mycroft’s Entroposcope.
And when an Entroposcope looks like that, run for the hills!

5 Likes

Jackfruit is as tasty as it is healthy. To try something innovative with it, you must try Jackfruit Kababs.

4 Likes

Braised lamb shanks in pomegranate and walnut- the same sauce used on chicken for fesajeen. Alas, the polenta in the instant pot was way too loose to serve as it was, so I boiled up some of the big couscous and chilled the polenta to fry today.
Then I made a chocolate sheet cake for the neighbors with the snowblower who clear the whole block-twice. The first time I read the flour amount for the cocoa powder and left out the flour entirely. Not a bad very dark chocolate custard, but definitely not something to give away.

7 Likes

Anybody do this? Technique for raw onions as a pizza topping, from Cook’s Illustrated

Because raw onions on a pizza tend to char (because with the high heat and short time of cooking a pizza, the cell walls of the onion don’t have enough time to break down and release the moisture in the cells)…
They say you could sauté them first, but that changes them into something different…
They say that tossing the sliced onion with salt and sugar, letting it sit to draw water out of the cells, then rinsing and drying, will allow it to retain more of the raw onion crunch and flavor without burning.

1. Toss 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons sugar with 1 sliced onion in bowl.

2. Let slices sit for 15 minutes, then rinse in 3 changes of water.

3. Dry onions using salad spinner or paper towels.

7 Likes

Huh, I want to try this. Though I like the slight char, the blackened ends on an onion on pizza

7 Likes

Yeah the charred bits are part of the point. And not just on onions. If you want the onions to soften a bit more you can just slice them thinner and microwave for 10-30 seconds.

Cooks Illustrated has a long history of “solving” things no one ever had a problem with, as well as over complicating things to excess.

They’re making an Asian style quick pickle here, then washing the onions, then drying them. To avoid the thing you’re after when using raw onions on a pizza?

Why?

7 Likes

Geez, my wife just confirmed that.
They still look slimy…

6 Likes

You had me at ‘Pizza’!
Yes, please. I will try this.
BTW, is it true that the builders of the Pyramids were payed with onions?
Okay, I am a fountain of useless knowledge…

5 Likes

As someone allergic to eggs, I have used this technique to make a passable french toast. Flax and chia both gell when wet, making them common egg substitutes.

That’s how I recognized it instantly.

6 Likes