Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I’m experimenting with a new chicken wing recipe for a wing contest at work tomorrow: dill pickle smoked wings:

Brined for one hour in garlic dill pickle juice
Pat dry
Apply mayonnaise as a binder (I used Kewpie) and then rub: 4 parts Old Bay, 1 part dill weed, pinch of ancho chili powder
Smoke for 3 hours. (They are in the smoker right now)

Results to follow.

8 Likes

Kewpie mayo for the win!
Cheers, and hoping you are successful.

4 Likes

Thanks! I just sampled one. It’s a little bit salty, but that usually goes over well with groups. I prefer things a little less salty. It will also be tempered by the dipping sauce, which is (more) Kewpie mayo, smoked paprika Old Bay, dill, ancho chili powder, and a few drops of Stubbs hickory liquid smoke.

10 Likes

That is an unusual combination! At least, I’ve never heard of Old Bay and dill going into a BBQ sauce, nor having most of the ‘sauce’ coming from mayo. Could you give the ratios/measurements?

6 Likes

in some ways it resembles alabama white barbecue sauce, although the dill is unusual. i don’t personally care for mayo type sauces because it brushes up against my long term disgust towards egg type flavors which stems from a childhood food poisoning incident.

6 Likes

Anthony Bourdain showing Anderson Cooper (who is notoriously conservative/fickle foodwise) “Korean Army Stew” Budae jjigae

Best Comment:

A.C… this guy has covered, wars, acts of terrorism, Earthquake and famines fearlessly, competently, bravely… but he’s afraid of pickled cabbage!

7 Likes

It’s less of a sauce, more of a dip. It’s like the blue cheese dressing for traditional Buffalo wings. I didn’t use measurements for the dip, but it’s about 2/3 cup mayo for 4 lbs of wings, so it’s not meant to be slathered on them. Just a dollop per wing.

The Kewpie has very little egg flavor compared to other mayo, and it has more of a sour cream consistency rather than the more gelatinous jar mayos like Best Foods/Hellman’s.

7 Likes

This doesn’t make me want army stew (though it does look interesting) but it does make me want a Negroni!

7 Likes

Update: speaking of puff pastry - Tuesday I made danishes for a gathering, came out great. I’d never even considered such a thing, but it’s basically a twist on the asparagus tart. Just roll out and cut the puff pastry into squares, prick centers with a fork and do an egg wash (next time I’d paint on the wash before cutting), then put a dollop of cream cheese mixture (I did cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and an egg yolk) in the center, top with a tsp of berry preserves or whatever other filling you want, and bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes.
I topped some with sliced almonds and drizzled all with a sugar glaze. Huge hit.
Who knew danishes were easy?!? Puff pastry for the win. Again.

13 Likes

Is nothing sacred?

10 Likes

A Negroni is better for you!
Army stew like many forms of “soul food” around the world, is a sodium bomb.

7 Likes

I’m drinking a Negroni right now! :wink:
So gooood.

7 Likes

I have SOOO many uses for that crescent roll dough in the exploding tube. I was thrilled when they started selling it in uncut sheets.

Mini calzones, spinach and feta, mini beef Wellington, Samosas, ham & cheese, “jalapeno poppers” with diced peppers and cheese, cheesecake filling, cream cheese and fruit or jam, literally anything you could stuff in a sandwich… Make them small for appetizers or snacks, hand sized for lunches to go.

7 Likes

I did not win, but I did get a lot of compliments! Next time I would brine it in the pickle juice for another hour. Zero of the sourness made it through the process. The saltiness was more mild on day two after reheating.

Everybody wanted the dipping sauce for all the other wings! :blush:

9 Likes

Looks at watch. Still morning where I am.

Damn.

7 Likes

Eh, we won’t judge. :wink:

7 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

What is UP with that? I bought a jar of Hellman’s for the first time recently (because apparently that’s what’s available here) and I was put off by the wobbliness. Are all American mayos like that? Because I am not used to a blancmange consistency. The taste is off, too, but that’s another matter…

5 Likes

Just learned about this, so apologies if it’s a repeat, but…

I’m in Rome! I want a pizza! To the…vending machine???

6 Likes