Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I recently came across this site which is amazing and slightly overwhelming :blush:

https://m.tarladalal.com/

I also like this one:

which I think does a good job of explaining what and why.

8 Likes

We try a viral Chinese TikTok recipe for spicy ramen using Sprite soda in the broth【SoraKitchen】

4 Likes

With all those other added ingredients*, they may as well just skip the 200 milliliters (6.8 ounces) of Sprite, lol :laughing:

*[garlic, pepper, sesame seeds, green onion, cilantro, cucumber, lemon, vinegar, soy sauce, oil]

7 Likes

I picked up using soda as component of marinades from a Filipino friend.

So for example if you don’t have Asian pear for a galbi marinade, you can toss in something like Sprite in place of that and the sugar. Or if you can’t get bitter orange or bitter orange juice for something like mojo, the same or orange soda and a bunch of lime.

Seems fairly common in parts of South East Asia, and bits of Mexico.

So I’ve ended up using ginger beer for a base on a lot of different marinades. Even when I have the right ingredients.

So like marinaded flank steak for tacos I go ginger beer, bitter orange juice, Worcestershire, garlic, and chili.

Lazy al pastor, ginger beer pineapple juice, garlic and chipotles in adobo.

Use it in various Korean bbq marinades. Tossed it in American style teriyaki, or for quick inaccurate cha sui.

Ginger beer with stuff in it is a pretty good frame work for quick and dirty version of any marinade you can plausibly work ginger into.

9 Likes

Made ratatouille last night from the very ripe tomatoes a friend gave us. It was good, but mom only tried a few bites before diving into warm bread and butter.
Tonight it’s manicotti with an artichoke spinach filling and salad. We’ll see how much mom bothers to eat.
It’s very hard to control the anger when an old favorite I’ve spent a fair amount of time on gets ignored. I know it’s not an intentional snub but it still stings.

9 Likes

:thinking:

Anyone tried this?

Better freezing ideas?

11 Likes

I’m a big fan of roasting garden tomatoes with garlic, salt, pepper, and basil then freezing them flat in ziploc bags. It’s magic when you defrost one of those bags in February…

11 Likes

I might have to try that. I can only make so much salsa and pasta sauce!

11 Likes

Star Struck Wow GIF by Funimation

10 Likes

We just chop and freeze in bags if we’re overwhelmed with abundance. You can’t get the skins off later, but that’s never bothered me. I think I learned that from “the splendid table” when Lynn was still hosting. Keeps them really flexible for whatever you might want to make later.

In other news, delicious dinner of grilled burgers (we mixed in tarragon and dill from the garden first) dressed with a schmear of herb de Provence chèvre, some fresh onions, lettuce, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. I also added a small drizzle of my favorite hot oil. Mwah. Fresh cukes and tomatoes on the side. Everything but the buns and balsamic was from the farmers’ market or the garden. I love this time of year.

12 Likes

I will try this. Thank you.

5 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker

10 Likes

Kitchen Magic!

4 Likes

Good news: Japanese boffins 3D print what looks like marbled Wagyu beef. Bad news: It’s tiny and inedible

Scientists in Japan have 3D printed an approximation of one of the nation’s delicacies, Wagyu beef, in an experiment involving bovine stem cells.

A team at Osaka University extracted bovine satellite cells and adipose-derived stem cells from formerly live cows to grow muscle, fat, and blood vessels in a laboratory.

[…]

4 Likes

Would you eat it if was manmade or cloned meat and affordable?
Wait, I just had a thought.
Does anybody make vegetables or fruit imitations out of Meat proteins?
Holy Crap, I found one:

9 Likes

Whaaaa…is that real?
Can’t be :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle::unamused:

6 Likes

I bet eating one of those would take a good five years off your life span.

6 Likes

I found it on the InterWebNet! I believe everything I find there…

6 Likes

Trying a new ( to me ) barramundi or Asian sea bass tonight if it is thawed in time.
Perhaps grilled on the Weber simply like I do salmon or striped bass.
Here is a fillet:

9 Likes

Good idea! I did that for a fun lunch yesterday.

9 Likes