Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

How to make stuffed pumpkin:

1. Hollow out pumpkin
  2. Insert stuffing
  3. Cook
  4. Consume stuffing
  5. Discard pumpkin
14 Likes

:joy: The pumpkin was actually a really nice base for this one, maybe due to all the dressing. I think the secret it using the smaller ones, my serving was probably just maybe 1/2 C of actual pumpkin, topped with the glorious stuffing and dressing.

Also - funny, this, coming from a gardener!

10 Likes

Looks like a sugar pumpkin?

The secret tends to be using a proper heirloom eatin’ pumpkin. I like Cheese Pumpkins, Fairytale and Provence Pumpkins. But Kabocha and Hubbard Squash tend to be more broadly available. Anything blue or grey tends to be delicious.

I should go to the farm stands, all them weird pumpkins are coming into season.

7 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes

Fondue! Now I want some.

5 Likes

Fresh raw peanuts at the local Farmers market. Now I need to roast some. :peanuts:

7 Likes

Working on curry.

7 Likes

BEHOLD MY WORKS!

That’s a little pickled radish in the corner, can never find the right neon red Japanese pickles for this.

9 Likes

I wonder if you could cook American pumpkin like Japanese kabocha.

The recipe is simple

Make slices into the skin of the pumpkin. (About half of the pumpkin) with a vegetable peeler

Cut the pumpkin into bite sized chunks

Simmer the chunks in a broth of 3 cups of bonito broth (3 cups water, 3 tsp of bonito powder), 3 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp soy sauce until soft enough to poke through with a fork

4 Likes

I have never been able to find the red pickles outside of Japanese and Korean grocery stores.

5 Likes

The temperatures are low enough to bake without all the fans running, so that means it’s time to make lots of breads and the fall favorite of all the kids, pumpkin cheesecake.
This recipe was reverse-engineered from the Cheesecake Factory’s version by someone at the Food Network. As long as you cook it in a bain marie, it won’t crack and turns out silky smooth, not mealy or dry.

@ClutchLinkey I picked up a tiny pie pumpkin today because that stuffed one looked so tasty!

8 Likes

They had fukujinzuke at the H-mart when I went a while back, but they didn’t have the red kind I’m familiar with from Japanese curry places. Just the less frightening brown kind.

4 Likes

I can’t condone this.

7 Likes

What, the abomination of pumpkin pie and cheesecake?
Two great baked custards that work well together.

8 Likes

Glad I could offer some inspiration!
I’ve been thinking of making some kind of carrot cake recipe with a cream cheese frosting, but when I saw your pumpkin cheesecake I was like,

But now I already have all these carrots…maybe next week!

5 Likes

I made the carrot cake:

The frosting’s a little wonky, but tastes great. Cake itself is m o i s t AF, with some raisins and walnuts thrown in.

14 Likes

This looks like the poster cake for Carrot Cake!

11 Likes

Thanks!
The whole time I was glopping the frosting around I was imagining Paul Hollywood’s critique. Really gotta work on those inner critics :joy:

8 Likes

Fresh out of the oven.

12 Likes