Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

“Can I get it to spoil just enough to not kill me and not rot away altogether?”

7 Likes

Preferably get those fruits and grains to rot enough to get me drunk.

6 Likes

Fish puns are not only within the guidelines but encouraged!

8 Likes

I think it’s just the peel. So you might have enough to do everything else and just dump the peels in the EtOH as you go.

Here’s a vid:

6 Likes

Reporting back: stuffed peppers came out very yummy.

New recipe. I poured some broth in the pan and kind of poached them for a while with tinfoil tented on top. Pulled it off and added some cheese on top for a quick broil at the end. The faro gave it a nice nuttiness. Would def make again.

11 Likes

Username checks out.

6 Likes

I have not made it in a long long time. Vodka worked better for me back when I did, and as I was bartending at a place where the cooks were all from Milan and the GM from the Venteto I got yelled at a lot. There was a lot of aye Chachi! about how to do it. Even though, and probably because they were all from the wrong part of Italy.

Consensus was whole god damn lemons. Just washed, couple guys insisted you stab them a couple times.

Always soak in booze and sweeten after.

I think a lot of the “test it” grade articles I’ve seen vouched for the vodka, even if they specify over proof vodka. Everclear recipes usually involve cutting with water/simple syrup anyway, but that stuff is absolute rot gut.

But most of them came down on the idea of peeling the lemons. You don’t want to zest shit with grater, you get a cloudy mess that way. But slice off big swaths of peel and fillet off the pith.

A couple came down on also adding the flesh, but skinned of any and all pith.

Unfortunately everything I can think of is either not online, or pay walled.

BUT what I was told was the “real” way to do it. By il Lupo, the only punk rocker in the Veneto circa 1983, the guy who taught me everything I know about wine. Was published in the NYT a ways back. And thankfully Gizmodo republished it, along with links to some other articles/methods many years ago.

Imbibe seems to push the same line, and they’re kinda the craft cocktail nerd professional publication of record.

It involves whole lemons in cheese cloth, above standard proof vodka.

I haven’t tried this, but I really want to. And apparently it works for small volumes.

I think this time last year we got into the types of lemons used. Limoncello is traditionally done with Sorrento lemons. Which have a lot of zest, dry flesh and a pith with minimal bitterness. Almost more like citron than a lemon.

Meyer lemons have a lot juice, and pulp that’s a bit sweet. And the peel is thin, but it’s also minimally bitter about the pith, and oily so I gotta think they’d work well for this.

As regards imbibe, my buddy Evan occasionally publishes stuff with them. Including the signature cocktail from his amazing spot on the East End of Long Island.

Eta: if memory serves the Northside Collins was developed around Thai Basil for the herb. Big ole bouquet of it so nose gets right up in there when you drink it. But Thai Basil is both expensive and tricky to source out there so he usually uses mint.

He garnishes this thing with a full on fist full of herbs, and uses I think a 20oz Libby Gibraltar glass and crushed ice.

His Backsliding Presbyterian became a bit of a thing too.

7 Likes

I’ve had a bit of whiskey so apologies. But I missed this bit.

Any clue what sort of pumpkin?

If it’s a cool kid pumpkin this may be a prime Thanksgiving situation.

I am in Philadelphia currently, I keep seeing tasty heirlooms on doorsteps instead of in kitchens.

It angers up the blood.

4 Likes

That’s just because of the relentless machinations of the Kerrygold lobby…

The Irish somehow still manage to sell themselves based on images of happy cows in happy emerald green fields with happy farmers picnicking in the pasture for some reason?

British cheese makers haven’t quite got the hang of that. After all in the UK we’ve spent the last 30 (40?) (60?) years at least marketing everything as “Made in Britain, Buy it, it’s your patriotic duty!”

4 Likes

The sicilians and napoletans I knew said sorrento lemons, big slices of just the peel, pure grain alcohol, a couple weeks in the dark, and cut with sugar syrup and water down to 40%…

4 Likes

Oh, I’m pretty sure it was a result of supermarket buyers hedging against future import restrictions. Turns out they were right to do it, too.

4 Likes

Farmers never picnic. That’s crazy. They come home for a cooked tae.

10 Likes

It wasn’t labeled but I’m pretty sure it’s a sugar pie. Might roast it with some spices and have with ice cream for the lazy version of pumpkin pie. I’ve stuffed this sort before, too, to good results.

5 Likes

Coddle.

Processing: IMG-20211122-WA0004.jpeg…

8 Likes

UNFORTUNATE

Consider it an acorn squash or equivalent. I think stuffing them is a good approach.

All joking aside thems good squash.

4 Likes

Any of youse guys have a great recipe for sesame-peanut noodles? I can manage a good peanut sauce for dipping, but my noodles end up gloppy. Tasty, but gloppy. I’m hoping for a sauce that coats well but doesn’t seize up.

4 Likes

I don’t have a hard and fast recipe that I use for sesame peanut noods, often just mixing things together until it tastes “right”, but I’ve had pretty good success making a sauce with peanut butter powder in lieu of peanut butter. It doesn’t glop up when it’s cold and tastes good hot.

8 Likes

Using light coconut milk helps to keep the peanut sauce from becoming too thick.

8 Likes

Mom and I have been doing a little prep work here and there this week, but this morning we began getting ready for Thanksgiving in earnest.

Stuffing is assembled, Brussels are cleaned and halved, our turkey is spatchcocked (spatch-tom’d?), And I made a pie!

Not my prettiest work: I need to stop trying to get fancy with cut outs, but I can’t help myself. It’s a vegan filling recipe with a pâte brisée crust.

13 Likes

Good mother. A real keeper.

3 Likes