Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Sad Toca Life World GIF by Toca Boca

7 Likes

Tequila GIF

7 Likes

Another Ottolenghi recipe, this time eggplant dumplings. Roasted mashed eggplant made into dumplings with ricotta, an egg, herbs and a few breadcrumbs, fried and then baked in a simple tomato sauce.

The consensus was they were delicious but very, very rich. Too rich, and not one I’ll make again.

11 Likes

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

8 Likes

No fish from our monger at the farmers market today.
So Korean style skirt steak on the grill instead.

10 Likes

Braised some lamb shanks in the instant pot then pulled the meat and cooked spuds carrots and celery in the stock. I’ve kept this batch of lamb braise going for over a year now and it does a great job. I just pour it back into the freezer container after I’m done cooking. It might need a splash more red wine next time.

11 Likes

Trying to make a century stew there?

9 Likes

I saw something about a horseradish processing factory on TV once. That is exactly what they are doing. Well, not swim goggles, but gas masks that cover the eyes as well.

8 Likes

Black pepper tofu, which was amazing. The sauce has 150g of butter(!), three types of soy sauce and five tablespoons of crushed black peppercorns. The teen and I swooned over the final result. My wife enjoyed it but did say her mouth was hot/numb/weird 20 minutes later.

Served with jasmine rice and steamed bok choy.

Five tablespoons of black pepper and the fatty stuff is butter.

Note for the observant: I do have more than one pan but I’m still loving this red enamelled cast iron pan. I rode down the hill to Aldi looking for bread or something, and in the weird-shit aisle between the carrot stretchers, brittle screwdrivers and quilted beach towels was a $25AUD enamel cast iron pan. Thrilled to find it; exhausted by the ride home with it in my backpack. So far so good.

ETA link to recipe.

12 Likes

Don’t know if this has been here before-

I’ve found some great stuff in that aisle and I am not ashamed!

11 Likes

Those sound good, but I can relate!
That’s kind of how I feel about the brisket I made for Christmas. So rich I had to freeze some because I just couldn’t take anymore, and now we’re trying to clear out the freezer so had some for dinner last night. After about 1/4 cup of the actual brisket (served this time with taters and cornbread), I just want to drink a bunch of spring water. Good, but so rich. Maybe I thickened the sauce too much, it was my first time making it.

That pepper tofu looks great, too! Good timing. I’m making tofu next week, had planned on my standard marinade, bake then toss into stir fry, but maybe I’ll try this.

6 Likes

I prefer a hand-stretched carrot, myself. much more satisfying.
I will not, however, be caught without my Aldi Cheese Straightener. you heard here, folks. cheese straightener. get one if you can.

7 Likes

Is that like a wall stretcher?

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

8 Likes

in my line of work it was a box stretcher, but you got the idea!

6 Likes

Wow!
That looks and sounds great. Also the enameled cast iron skillet is a great find.
You did swell, Cheers!

7 Likes

BtW. I worked in a California Shopping Mall back in the Beforedays, and the on going joke was to send a new hire to another store to ask to borrow their Wall Stretcher.
Everyone was in on it.

6 Likes

They pulled that on my dad when he worked in a shoe store in the 60s.

5 Likes

Yes! 1969 for me. Florsheim shoes Sunvally mall. Yes I am that old.

5 Likes

Man. You olds were bored.

When I worked in a mall selling cameras. The big wild thing was the manager handing me a pipe and telling me to hot box the employee bathroom.

Supposedly this would qualify me to service the auto lab.

I volunteered to do extra shifts in the photo lab after that.

5 Likes

Oh man, did you have a real dark room? Now I want to find all my self developed and printed black and white. Kodachrome

5 Likes