Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Here’s an idea

(I’ve made it at home. Its pretty easy)

10 Likes

Made this for dinner tonight and it turned out tasty!

14 Likes

So cool!
I cut the pork belly into 1/2” and 1/4” slices.
The 1/2” cut went the freezer.

9 Likes

I’ve cheated with the recipe before using a pressure cooker for the simmering part. It’s even good cold as an appetizer.

8 Likes

That sort of thing also tends to work well sous vide. I do my chasu that way.

For the kakuni you could just follow as is, but bag the seared pork and aromatics up with no liquid. Then unbag it and proceed to the glazing.

It won’t save time, neccisarily. But it does save effort, once you put stuff in the meat jacuzzi it just takes no effort or attention till the time is up. You can also chill and then freeze the pre-cooked pork as is in the bag. So you can just pull it and glaze it when ever.

7 Likes

Isn’t any jacuzzi a meat jacuzzi when you get right down to it?

7 Likes

10 Likes

Food safe beef hot tubbing requires more precise temp control than you’re average hotel common area though.

5 Likes

One night in the fridge & microwaved at the office:

16 Likes

Yum!

Are those sausages on popsicle sticks???

And totally unrelated, is there a word for those recipes that, for example, I was just looking up “made from scratch” chai tea latte recipes, and the top 10 that popped up stated, “Start with 4 chai tea bags,” or, “use 2 pumps of chai concentrate…” I had to scroll down a bit to find some that listed the actual spice mix to make chai…
Another example is last year I was looking up how to make tortilla chips from scratch and all the top hits were, “start with flour tortillas…”
I’ve since been able to find the answers to both. But I’m curious if there’s a term for those kinds of recipes. Besides “annoying.”

10 Likes

Do not get me started on ‘recipes’ that are merely a grocery list of prepackaged foods that are to be mixed together and somehow that makes it homemade. If you take cake mix, flavored Jello, and Cool Whip and mix them together, you have not created something from scratch. Miss me with that nonsense.

10 Likes

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe” —Carl Sagan

:woman_shrugging:t2:

I mean, a “recipe” is just a list of the things you need, and a set of instructions. IMO a recipe doesn’t have to mean entirely from scratch.

However, that said, I’m not interested in making something from a cake mix, flavored jello, and Cool Whip.

7 Likes

They look like ćevapčići (Or “chevapchichi”), more like a spiced mincemeat kebab than a sausage.

Very very nom.

9 Likes

I totally agree that there is a lot of gray between the extremes of growing your own apples for apple pie and throwing together the above mentioned three items. As I’ve gotten older and more financially solvent, I’ve grown to appreciate shortcuts such as buying canned beans instead of soaking dry ones, etc. But there has to be a line in the sand somewhere!

9 Likes

Yes, agreed!

I happened to be thinking about it recently, because just the other day I was talking with someone who had asked me if I could help her out with any money or food, and I asked her if she did much cooking from scratch. She replied something like, “It depends on what you call cooking. I’ll take some frozen chicken, and make some noodles, and pour a jar of Alfredo sauce on it. I don’t know if you call that cooking.”

It just got me thinking about the ideas of “cooking” and “cooking from scratch” all kind of being on a sliding scale…. So anyway, it was fresh in my mind…

9 Likes

The idea of how much processing is too much is similar. Usually I like to start with an actual food instead of something ready to heat and eat. Alas, for many people creative reuse of the heat and eat foods is all they can afford/have a way of heating/were shown by the adults in their lives. (Unless they are on the space station, where being creative with heat and eat is science!)

9 Likes

There’s a butcher near us who sells something very similar called “koftacles”, because what the world really needs is a portmanteau of koftas and popsicles. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

I don’t think you’re allowed to be creative with those. You get to choose a favourite dish beforehand that they freeze dry and add into the rotation but oin terms of preparation on board you’re supposed to follow instructions every time.

3 Likes

Au contrairé!

9 Likes

Also look like Mici

3 Likes