Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I’m not sure there are enough sprinkles!

11 Likes

I don’t know what the hell we did to it, but our ceramic pan has an effectively permanent coating of something that stuck to its ostensibly non-stick surface. With enough oil, it’s still non-stick, but with enough oil I figure any pan (regardless of coating or lack thereof) is non-stick.

1 Like

Is a different form/spelling of “kebab”. Turkish I think.

Kebab is a whole category of foods.

Which includes whole chunks of meat on skewers, various sorts of meatballs or ground meat formed on skewers, and the ever loving meat cone. Generally covers everything from North African dishes straight through to Russian Shashlik.

SOMETIMES. All that’s gonna vary even within a given nation. But Greek Gyros are traditionally layered sliced pork. Doner/Shawarma uses lamb. Spiced per local preferences. Greek (and/or Lebanese can’t recall) Americans created the ground meat cone version as a pre-made meat packing product. In and around Chicago sometime after WWII. Those tend to be lamb or lamb and beef.

Doner means Spin.

The bread tends to be Lavash or Pide/Pita. What bread is used again varies by country. Mostly flatbreads.

5 Likes

You really got me at rum.

2 Likes

That interpretation is incorrect, at least according to the originator. They guy who set up the first Doner kebab stand in Germany, Kadir Nurman, wrote about it, and said the term “doner” refers to the special Turkish bread he used, that is baked for the Children’s Day holiday.

Wikipedia is good but not perfect.

2 Likes

It’s not just wikipedia. It’s the Etymology you’ll find in dictionaries, including the OED.

And that is actually the Turkish word for rotate/rotating.

I don’t think you’ll have much luck finding a Turkish bread by that name, as all the references I can come up with are related to the kebab and which bread you use for it. Turks I know have told me it means “rotate/spinning” and refers to the spit.

The dish is not from Germany, it’s a much older Ottoman dish. Even the vertical spit part is 19th century.

2 Likes

That’s just incorrect.

2 Likes

My first ceramic pan developed that. I had been using a spray olive oil that had soy lecithin as a secondary ingredient, and that formed the gunky coating on my pan. I scoured it off with Bon Ami cleanser, but that was the end of any semblance of non-stick for that pan. Check the label on any oil sprays for lecithin and avoid using them on non-stick.

3 Likes

Always used either straight-up oil, or butter. I figure one of us just left something unattended too long.

2 Likes

I did that searing shrimp one time. Let your attention wander a bit (ok, it was like 45 min, but who is really counting?) And there is some ungodly muck adhered, fused, has become one with, the no-longer-nonstick coating. Scrubbing, scraping, soaking, nothing. And these were good Calphalon pans! I was bummed, but also fascinated. No clue what it was, but dayum…

3 Likes
4 Likes

The large tomatoes have started producing.

So that means it’s time for panzanella.

Lots of recipes about, but here’s a typical one.

ETA: I’ve cut the bread (the higher the gluten the better) into cubes, tossed it in olive oil and stuck in a slow oven for 20 mins to make proto-croutons. If you do this the salad needs longer to rest, ie for the bread to soak up the tomato liquid. Worth it.

10 Likes

Your photos are beautiful! (IMHO. I’m no expert, just a person who likes them :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

OK. Do you have sources for that?

3 Likes

I think I’ve figured out the secret to really good sauce bigarade. Bitter oranges only, and use half again as much peel and juice as the recipe calls for if you’re serving it with duck or goose.

5 Likes

3 Likes

For which part?

I don’t have a link, if that’s what you mean, but the meat of it (pun intended), as I mentioned, was from a mid-‘90s interview of Nurman in a German newspaper or magazine from when I was living there. My friends and I were so obsessed with doner kebab that the article made a big impression on us.

4 Likes

Looks like whoever posted this question is gone, but this went by in today’s paper. (Might be paywalled; worked for me in private window i.e. logged out.)

5 Likes

I’ll have to give this a try. This recipe doesn’t use eggs, some do.

(I read it as Hilal Cooking, but when she said “bacon fat”, whaaaa?)

6 Likes

Plus, they’re magic! (Said my eight-year-old self)

giphy (13)

8 Likes