Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

My kitchen, my rules.

9 Likes

Lentils

yup, that’s what I was referring to :wink:

1 Like

According to my cousin, what really goes well with Spaetzle are Spaetzle… he doesn’t even take sauce :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

You mean survived the first round of attempted destruction by the engineers at FGD135 Product Testing Industries, don’t you? :wink:

7 Likes

Steelhead tends to be more pink like salmon, regular rainbow more white. Difference is diet (steelhead are same species but choose a migratory path in life, which sees them feeding on more crustaceans).

4 Likes

I came across those yesterday. There is pasta made from chickpeas; who knew?
Not bad, but they get hard again when cooling down. They taste pretty much like pasta from wholegrain spelt, but the mouthfeeling is a bit off (from the traditional pasta baseline).
Not bad, but nothing to write home about.
(I don’t know whether this has been around for a while already and I just didn’t notice, or whether they popped up just now because of all the pasta-hoarding a couple of weeks ago. Anybody in the know on this?)

Leftover onion & champignons from lunch, tweaked with tomato paste and a dash of wine, because pasta.

8 Likes

Grilling season. Just salt and pepper. With favorite BBQ and Hot sauce to dip in.

9 Likes

They’ve been around for a while, but usually at health food type stores, not as much at the conventional supermarkets. But then, they started to catch on for the gluten-free diet, I think keto as well, and thus started showing up in more stores recently.

6 Likes

They also had fusili from red lentils, I’ll try those next.

7 Likes

Ragout fin on basmati rice.

7 Likes

That’s the way to do it!

3 Likes

The best thing to do with leftover spaghetti and tomato sauce (with or without meat, vegetables in it) is to reheat it in a frying pan with butter until it forms a delightful crispy crust. Preferably eaten as breakfast.

8 Likes

That’s a crianza, no? I’ll have to look for it, assuming it’s exported to this continent.

I think that (i.e., all three items) may be the dish (possibly served for Frühstück?) I was asking about upthread, a month or so ago.

And now, tonight’s chow:

Easy one-pot mac’n’cheese

1. Bring 5 cups of milk to a simmer (on med. or med.-high)
  2. Boil 1 pound macaroni in the milk for about 10 minutes (yes, longer than the box says)
  3. Remove the pot from the heat
  4. Cut up a stick of butter into the pot
  5. Gradually stir in 2 cups of shredded sharp, sharper, or sharpest cheddar
  6. Season with salt, pepper, and/or Tony Chachere’s
  7. Serve
  8. Scour the milk stuck to the bottom of the pot, because you boiled milk. You know better than that.

I think something like this has been posted before (maybe on another thread). Adapted from here which is chock full o’ javascripts.

EDIT: I don’t think it makes for good leftovers; when it cools off the sauce decoagulate(?). (Same with Alfredo sauce.) But out-of-the-pot, it was quite good. I’ll probably go back to my ususal routine.

8 Likes

Instant pot sort of Caribbean pork stew: country style pork slabs, browned. Sliced onions, sweated in the fat. One butternut squash peeled, cut into eighths. One can coconut milk, about 1T jerk sauce from a bottle, about 1t ground cumin, salt and black pepper. Maybe a cup of pineapple chunks, 3/4” square. Cooked with high pressure 35 minutes. Let the juice reduce while cooking a pot of rice, served it forth.

8 Likes

After years and years of making bread the old-fashioned way, I finally tried baking no-knead bread. I’m not sure why it took me so long (or why I was so afraid to try it), but needless to say, I shouldn’t have been such a weenie about it. I used a mixture of buckwheat and regular flour, baked it at 450 for 30 minutes covered and 15 uncovered. It smells heavenly and I’m having a hard time waiting for it to cool enough to cut and slather with butter!

The only snag occurred when I was taking off the dutch oven lid mid-bake: I totally scalded my wrist with the steam that came out. I definitely won’t make that mistake again and I am glad that I was wearing long sleeves!

15 Likes

Pancakes. For dinner.

Yeah, so that’s where I’m at these days.

Freshly ground nutmeg on top of them helps.

12 Likes

No shame there: I just ate two leftover pancakes for an afternoon snack. (I freeze leftovers from the batch and throw them into the toaster to heat back up. Usually takes two cycles, but boy are they good).

9 Likes
6 Likes

Just call them galettes or crespelle - boom, fancy foreign dish for dinner.

5 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 12 hours unless flagged)

1 Like