Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

They were banned from import to the US for a while, they’ve only been available (legally) for a few years now.

7 Likes

So dang diddly hot here, I’m making pizza on the grill.

12 Likes

Far out! Is that a baking steel?

7 Likes

Just an ordinary pizza stone

7 Likes

Neat. I have a pizza stone and should try this too.
Thank you.

5 Likes
9 Likes

We broke our pizza stone a couple years ago and decided to try out the pizza steel. I like it way better, fwiw.
Though, careful putting it in the cupboard if you care about shelf life, as in literal life of your shelves. It’s heavy and gougy.

9 Likes

It’s always nice to hear that there are countries in the world where the law still matters. You might not like a particular law, but you will abide by it. Hmm…wonder what that’s like?

9 Likes

Me, I always thought a Cocktail had something to do with chicken feathers.

[quote=“system, post:1, topic:220362, full:true”]
Continuing the discussion from Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1) - #5071 by kentkb.

8 Likes

Eye Of The Tiger Dean GIF

seriously, tho, that’s good mezcal!

9 Likes

The bottle is empty now and I saved it to refill. Yes. It was great. :rooster::tropical_drink:

6 Likes

Yams!

(Click to embiggen.)

7 Likes

I have discovered the joys of poaching shrimp in seasoned coconut milk-throw in a heap of fresh garlic and some lime leaves and a bit of palm sugar and simmer for a few minutes then add the shrimp for just long enough to have them turn pink. Delightful!
ETA: it was fresh ginger, and just a little garlic.

14 Likes

I love shrimp. This sounds very good indeed.

6 Likes

Throw in some broad rice noodles and you have a poor man’s laksa.

9 Likes

I think a pizza steel would also work in a grill. The main thing is to spread out the heat, because grills usually have hot spots.

5 Likes

Our biggest complaint about the stone we had was, because it soaked up any excess oil (usually olive oil) it tended to smoke and stink up the place.* The steel, less so. But, as mentioned above, it’s freaking heavy.
Haven’t tried it on the grill yet, but if I do, I’ll post here.

*oh, and it broke. Can’t imagine the steel breaking.

6 Likes

I would say that steel might be the better play. I’ve had pizza stones crack on the grill. Too high a temp and too direct, they don’t like it.

7 Likes

Pesto!

Herbs from the garden including basil, oregano, rosemary, cilantro, parsley.

I use pepitas instead of tree nuts because they’re more economical and taste just as good.

15 Likes

Wow! That photo would make a great desktop screen.

6 Likes