Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Shakshuka. North African poached eggs.

16 Likes

I do love shakshuka for breakfast. You can prepare it the night before, then you just have to heat it and slip in some eggs for a low effort breakfast.

13 Likes

It is about time I try this recipe. Thank you.

6 Likes

Yeah. This was a low-spice bell pepper version for the family. I’d use more robust peppers making it for myself.

9 Likes

In addition to looking delicious, it seems to be fairly low carb. (Ms and I are keto.) I will certainly give this a try.

5 Likes

Recipe. I’d like to se more robust peppers for people who like a fuller flavor. Maybe up the coriander by 1/4tsp, cumin by 1/8 tsp.

Ingredients:
Extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion chopped
2 green peppers chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch red pepper flakes optional
Salt and pepper
6 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 6 cups chopped tomatoes)
½ cup tomato sauce
6 large eggs
Âź cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Âź cup chopped fresh mint leaves

Directions:
Heat 3 tablespoon olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the onions, green peppers, garlic, spices, pinch salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook a bit longer to allow the mixture to reduce and thicken. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.

Using a wooden spoon, make 6 indentations, or “wells,” in the tomato mixture (make sure the indentations are spaced out). Gently crack an egg into each indention.

Reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and cook on low until the egg whites are set.

Uncover and add the fresh parsley and mint. You can add more black pepper or crushed red pepper, if you like. Serve with warm pita, challah, or crusty bread of your choice.

13 Likes

Thank you for the recipe, :raised_hands:t2:

7 Likes

Grilling eggplant and pork chops today. Salt and avocado oil on eggplant. Salt and fresh ground black pepper for the pork.
Simple.

14 Likes

Bratwurst Oscar with Sauce Bavaroise. Which is a thing, now. Lol

9 Likes

The rational part of my brain couldn’t help but notice there would be a refrigeration issue here, unless one had a cooler big enough to lay this on ice, but the rest of my brain overrode that with “COOL!”:

12 Likes

Aside from the cheese, I don’t see anything in there that could need to be cool.

6 Likes

It was the meat that worried me, but I suppose you’re right: that’s the whole point of salami and such, it doesn’t need to be refrigerated like raw meat does.

The gummi bears will be a mess in a minute, however!

8 Likes

The warm-weather gummi bear quandary: leave them out so that they melt into gummi jellyfish or keep them in the cooler so they become hard as rocks?

7 Likes

Such a cool idea!

5 Likes

Can of Spam from my bug-out-bag with a use by date 2020.
Should I eat it?

6 Likes

It’s spam. As long as the can was still vacuum-packed, it would still be edible after a nuclear war.

10 Likes

I take it by the “best by” date on the spam that your bug out bag dated back to the mid 20th century. :grin:

4 Likes

Figured it was okay. Sliced and simmered it for 10 minutes in water to remove some of the salt. Drained and fried in butter in an iron pan.
Spam, spam, spammm…

5 Likes

What foods do you have in your Bug-out-Bags?

I have some MRE biscuits good forever. Spam is a good choice for its shelf life, I just ate that one from 2020.
It is recommended to put in something that gives you happiness.
Snicker Bars!
Only good for 1 year. But they never last that long.
We cheat and we eat them monthly.

6 Likes

My “in case of emergency food”: Modern takes on MRE, pouch curry and Indian and insta quinoa.

51FlCBPUUvL.AC_SY580

I like quinoa as a quick starch because when pre cooked like that it doesn’t require being heated up.

Plus jerky I love that stuff.

Usually the stuff ends up as my weekday lunch

9 Likes