Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Just heard about this on “how I built this” this morning:

It sounds awesome. Places like bakeries and restaurants can offer “surprise bags” of the goods they would have to toss at the end of a shift, and if you’re up for the adventure, you get a good value. You have to download the app, but then can search different areas and it shows you how much a bag costs and when pick up time is.
No local businesses are on here yet, but Chicago has heaps of options, as does Sacramento. And it’s international. Berlin has TONS of options. So many patisseries and bakeries. Am drooling.
Seems like it would be really fun to try out while traveling, maybe find places you wouldn’t normally find.
Has anyone tried it?

7 Likes

Locally, we have something similar for groceries:

https://www.imperfectfoods.com/

8 Likes

Neat! Most of our local groceries work directly with food banks, so we don’t get that option.
The thing I liked about this as a different approach was, the founder said the food amounts from individual businesses were too small to interest local charities, but she could help reduce food waste quite a bit with this grab bag approach.

7 Likes

To “do something” with my green tomatoes, I started with the suggestion from @DukeTrout to look for relish recipes, which then led me to chutney recipes: chop everything up, add spices, sugar, and malt vinegar, then cook it until it gives up.

In the beginning, everything fresh and pretty:

In the end, yup, everything gave up:

I have 10 jars of green tomato chutney.

It tastes pretty good, even if it looks like death and made my house smell like witchcraft. 10 jars is a lot, though. Teacher gifts maybe?

13 Likes

Yes. I recommend it, with caveats. I’m not going to drive to save food – sort of defeats the environmental impact – so within walking distance when I’m in Chicago is mostly stores I wouldn’t normally get food in (cupcakes, a new version of 7-11, etc.) and the ‘good’ options disappear very quickly. Having said that, I’ve gotten some nice items. So far, what I’ve gotten is because it’s marked as that day being the last day they can sell it. There’s an Indian fast food restaurant that I haven’t been able to snag a bag from (timing issues) that I’m hoping for, but in those sorts of situations the time window will be something like “pickup between 8-9pm” so it’s obvious that they made too much of something that didn’t get ordered enough that day.

So far I’ve been lucky and have politely mentioned when picking up “we’re vegetarian so if there’s any choice, please keep that in mind” and have gotten all veggie food options. From what I’ve seen so far, I can’t imagine vegan or GF is an option at all unless you happen to live near a restaurant like that and they’re part of the Too Good to Go situation.

12 Likes
7 Likes

I’ve done both Too Good to Go, and Imperfect Foods, in the DC area. TGTG is more ala carte, Imperfect is similar to farm shares, but they let you say which of the planned itens you don’t want. They source it from multiple farms/producers. For both, you can specify dietary needs/restrictions. Imperfect is a subscription, but you can cancel weeks, TGTG is whenever you want to grab something.

As Chgoliz says, tgtg can be a challenge to coordinate timing, there is an empanada company (I think they supply some local restaurants), and they frequently have inexpensive bags of frozen empanadas available. If it’s on the way for errands, I’ll sometimes get those. There’s a range in restaurants/stores that work with them, I’ve considered getting a grab bag of grocery produce, haven’t had it work out as yet. What’s often available nearby is stuff I can either make (a pound of cooked basmati rice, pizzas), or am trying to avoid (bag of cookies/donuts/pastries). Looking on the app now, there are grab bags from Cava, and the more eclectic Bonkers Chinese Burgers, but the window to pick them up is limited. It’s going to vary hugely by your locale and how widely adopted it is near you.

6 Likes

Making mushroom lasagna:
The dough-I added porcini powder to the mix.

Rolled sheets

Mushroom filling

Bechamel

Ricotta and Parmesan mix

Going into the oven to bake
I forgot to get a pic of the finished dish, but it was delicious. A nice afternoon’s effort.

12 Likes

Onions, peppers, beef, red wine, herbs.

10 Likes

That looks amazing! You made homemade mushroom pasta for it?
Impressed.

10 Likes

Using the food processor to make the dough and the kitchen aid to roll the sheets makes it way less work than it looks, but thanks!

8 Likes

What do you mean using the kitchen aid to roll the sheets? I know there’s attachments for spaghetti and grinding meat, but there’s one for full size lasagna?

6 Likes
7 Likes

It was a lockdown present for myself. It makes homemade pasta a much more likely dish than when I just had the hand cranked machine.

8 Likes

Chikuzenni, simmered root vegetables, dried tofu, shiitake and chicken.
It’s a staple of cold weather Japanese home cooking.

13 Likes

Laurie made Granola! To be mixed into my yogurt tomorrow.

7 Likes

As I scrolled down the second picture, I thought you were going for a face, which would become your next avatar :slight_smile:

Just needs a tiny bit moar pareidolia…

6 Likes

on the pepperhead front - we have discussed “Pepper X” before - The Guardian takes note:

9 Likes

Ha!
I just noticed it, thank you.
I would have done it if I had thought of it.

6 Likes

Who cuts a pizza in fifths?

I just cooked a frozen pizza. Round. “Large”, 11 inches diameter. Serving size: ⅕ pizza, 5 servings per container. I cut it in eighths.

That said, I grew up in a family of five. My mother was famous—famous within our family, that is—for being able to eyeball it and cut any pie into five equal pieces. We considered it a great skill.

(By “pie” above, I mean apple, blueberry, peach, etc. Not “pizza pie”; we just called that “pizza”. And when you ordered a pizza, it came cut in little squares.)

11 Likes