Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

If you have any left, it goes very nicely with bacon, sage leaves and a bit of thyme over pasta…

7 Likes

In both cases, I just put it on top of the stove to cool, placing it on the bigger room temperature pans cool it down slightly faster. It was only cooked in the one pan. That pan fits in my toaster oven, so I use it a lot for baking, as it avoids having to fire up my gas oven.

10 Likes

With brown butter.

8 Likes

Yum. I was going to say cream, to thin it and make it saucy. Maybe both brown butter and cream?

5 Likes

both GIF

8 Likes

We just used a few spoonfuls of the pasta water to make it creamier, but yeah cream, butter, it’s all good!

5 Likes

First freeze of the season (mid 20sF/ca -3C) expected tomorrow night, so here are the last of the tomatoes. :cry: What’s easy/tasty to do with the green ones?*
Not pictured are some jalapeno peppers and lots of fresh basil (Thai and Genovese).

*Not fried green tomatoes, please. I love to eat them but HATE to cook them.

10 Likes

Green tomato relish is outstanding. I love it on bratwurst and sandwiches. Dill or sweet works well.

Oh, and I give the green ones some time on the window sill (or in a paper bag with a banana) to ripen. Last year, all of our green tomatoes ripened that way by Thanksgiving.

8 Likes

Green tomatoes are great for pickling

8 Likes

The chef made orange brioche buns in honor of the holiday. I had chicken but the kid had “PUMPKIN BURGERS!”

10 Likes

Just made our first batch of roasted pumpkin seeds in a while.
Learned a tip: after cleaning the seeds, simmer them in salted water for 10 minutes before drying and roasting them.
They cooked way more evenly!

13 Likes

Roasted delicata squash stuffed with bulgar, mushrooms, onions, walnuts, raisins and feta.

8 Likes

If it’s the dredge steps you dislike in fried green tomatoes, you can just slice and grill them with a little oil. They’re good on grilled cheese, or with onions and peppers.
ETA: though I agree pickled green tomatoes are wonderful.

7 Likes

Grilling them? Hmmm… I should try that.
(You do mean “grill” as in the charcoal or propane fueled outdoor cooking apparatus, right?)

It’s the frying part that I dislike – so much oil, maintaining the correct temp, spatters everywhere…
There are enough “meat and threes” around here where I can treat myself without all that.

8 Likes

I’ve only done “grilled” tomatoes on an indoor griddle or grill pan, Processing: IMG_20231101_115157875.jpg…
So it’s not with a huge amount of oil. When I’ve made “fried” green tomatoes, I don’t deep fry them, I just cook them in cast iron with a little oil until the coating is toasty brown. The coating doesn’t stick as well, and deep frying has a nice taste, but so does cardiovascular health, so I limit how often I do that. And it’s much less spattery, and you can just eyeball when they’re done rather than worrying about heating the oil.

ETA: frying pan works for grilled tomatoes, if grill pan isn’t handy, just won’t have the grill mark aesthetic.

And if course you could grill them outdoors on a real grill if you have that set up.

7 Likes

I laughed when I glanced at the carton and realized that I’m drinking pasteurized pasture-raised milk. That’s all.

13 Likes

:musical_note:
You’ve got Louis Pasteur eyes
:musical_note:

:wink:

8 Likes

When I spank my pomegranates I have my favorite ‘spanking spoon’ , How do you get the pomegranate’s seeds out quickly? You spank it! 😆 The easiest way is cut pomegranate in half (horizontally) and use a wooden or metal... | By Shina's Pantry | Facebook

7 Likes

Is that what you kids call it these days?

7 Likes

Onion pizza, stuffed butter honeynut squash (chicken sausage, onions, celery, apples, pecans).

9 Likes