Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

the_gingerbreadman_by_edgar1975_d4ueixs-250t

4 Likes

I just remembered to post this:

4 Likes

7 Likes

Fake Olive oil seized!

2 Likes

GF made Mexican hot chocolate cookies, from NYT recipe. They have cayenne and cinnamon, and mini marshmallows.

9 Likes

It was laktepaloosa at my house tonight-beet and walnut, zucchini with Parmesan and pine nuts, squash, sweet potato and carrot, and (of course!) the gold standard potato and onion.
Homemade apple sauce, plenty of sour cream, horseradish mayo, cranberry orange relish for toppings.
I always have problems with doughnuts, so I made gulub jamun for dessert instead. Hey-theyā€™re fried!
Now everyone is deep in a food coma.
We also lit the hannukiah. Since we have 7 everyone got to choose the one they wanted. Fun all around.

11 Likes

KƤsekuchen

Made without quark.
giphy-3803931560
you might ask. Because I canā€™t find a source in my corner of Michigan (quark being a German cheese). But Iā€™ve wanted to try German cheesecake since seeing it an episode of Rick Steveā€™s Europe, so I tried one of the recipes I found online using a substitute (sour cream and an extra egg, in this case).

I donā€™t know how it compares to the original, but it looks right, the texture is light, and it tastes very good. I went a little heavy on the lemon zest, knowing how much I love lemon, but next time Iā€™ll dial it back a bit. Hereā€™s the recipe for those interested:

14 Likes

Can you find farmerā€™s cheese locally? Because that is a good approximation.

9 Likes

I f$%king love gulab jamun! Ate way to many while I was in India.

Since you make them, have you ever considered using real maple syrup instead of, or in addition to, the simple sugar syrup traditionally used? With or without the cardamon? Something tells me that would be tasty.

Iā€™d try myself but donā€™t have an oil fryer. And I hate the mess. Maybe air-fried gulab jamun is possible?

4 Likes

I think that Iā€™ve seen something in the supermarkets up here called farmerā€™s cheese, but if I remember right it looked like a white brick cheese, similar to muenster but without the rind. It didnā€™t look like this: Farmer cheese - Wikipedia. I will keep an eye out for it, though. Thank you!

4 Likes

3 Likes

A brick? Yikes! Not the same thing at all.

Yes, the Wiki photo is a good example. In fact, thatā€™s the brand easiest for me to get locally. If it still felt too grainy to you, a quick whip with an immersion blender would do the trick.

Happy to help!

8 Likes

Farmer cheese looks like what we call cottage cheese.

3 Likes

What is happening here?? Is the person on the sidewalk hawking cheesecake, or looking for cheesecake? I canā€™t quite make out what the people in the windows are saying.

4 Likes

If you drained cottage cheese in cheesecloth overnight you would probably get farmers cheese.
If there is a store that sells European foods near you you should be able to find it there. Kosher stores will also carry it, but it will be more expensive. At my preferred store itā€™s about 7$/kilo and the kosher stuff is about twice that.

3 Likes

5 Likes

There is some graininess depending on brand, but no curds as such. Our version of cottage cheese looks like:

Our version of farmer cheese is like this, or even milkier:

6 Likes

I always found quark to more closely resemble Greek yogurt, but thicker.

6 Likes

Oh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense! I donā€™t like Greek yogurt so I never buy it, but I can totally see how it could work well as a substitution for quark.

6 Likes

All of them! Even the halal shops where I buy my paneer sell European food!

4 Likes