Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Any more detail there?

3 Likes

SodaStream is Israeli

5 Likes

Ah. I misread and thought that Sprecher was the subject of the post.

3 Likes

I ordered 16 of the baby chocolate and put them in the freezer. We gave out 10 as gifts and I have 6 that should keep me happy for several months.

They said they will deplete their stock by the first of the year. The main store near us had a strict 2 cake limit.

There must be some special tooling involved otherwise I can’t imagine why they haven’t found a new baker.

Either that or they created a demand for the holiday but they’ve always been in demand.

We’ve only had one this holiday season on New Year’s Eve.

4 Likes

Lots on EBay last I looked and in the US the CO2 is supposed to be easy to get. It’s not quite so easy here. Soda stream as well as being a company on illegally occupied territory are also an example of the HP style physical “DRM” with their shitty little canisters that are more expensive than buying pre-made soda/fizzy water.

5 Likes

You know what? I think Brits invented Marmite to trick us Yanks into believing all British “brown foodstuff in a jar” was gross so we wouldn’t eat all of their Branston original pickles. I’m on to you, Brits! And I’m eating all of your Branston!

3 Likes

A nice loaf of Dakota bread-a multi-grain with extra seediness. Even got some oven spring!

9 Likes

Looks gorgeous!

No knead bread? Or something more arduous?

6 Likes

Used the stand mixer, total of about 8 minutes. It’s a fairly dry dough so hand kneading wouldn’t be too sticky.

7 Likes

Sounds do-able! Is the recipe online, perchance?

5 Likes

This is the one I use:

6 Likes

Awesome thanks, I’m getting kinda tired of no knead bread so I’m anxious to try this one.

7 Likes

I’ve had success using different multigrain cereals from Bob’s Red Mill. 7 or 10 grain, both worked and were delicious.

7 Likes

Holey Moley.
That looks like bread I could eat every day. Thank you for the recipe.

6 Likes

My dog likes it too-I found the remainder of the loaf in her crate. She ate about 2/3rds of it. I don’t know when she got hold of it this afternoon.

5 Likes

(gift link to the article)

Why Minnesota’s award-winning Owamni is changing its format to a $175 tasting menu — for now

It’s a long road from a food truck to a 13-course tasting menu, but that’s exactly the road Sean Sherman is taking.

The star chef and co-founder of the critically acclaimed Owamni — which originated as the Tatanka food truck back in 2015 — is brightening the slowest restaurant season with a major pivot.

Through Valentine’s Day, lunch is canceled and the a la carte menu is no more. As for walk-ins at the notoriously booked-up James Beard Award-winning restaurant? Forget about it.

Instead, look for the new WanĂ­yetu tasting menu. As always, Owamni is showcasing Indigenous, North American cuisine. But this limited-time tasting takes a more elevated, boundary-pushing approach to ingredients like squash, bison, venison and sumac, than returning guests might be used to. Those staples become squash jam on a one-bite blue corn tostada, smoked bison with braised greens, venison tartare, and sumac tea.

There’s more info in the article about Sean Sherman’s long-term vision for the success of the nonprofit and of Native producers.

5 Likes

DB is visiting us here in the Conch. today, i made a coconutty starfruit baked chicken with rice. topped with our homegrown carambola starfruit and unsweetened coconut.

i seasoned boneless, skinless chicken thighs with Jamaican hot curry, made ginger broth by boiling our ginger root in chicken stock to sub for the Thai ginger broth called for in the recipe.

don’t cook at 325F. that is too low. cook at 375F for 45 minutes, then place the remaining carambola stars on top, along with the unsweetened coconut flakes and brown, uncoveredfor 10 minutes more.
pretty and really tasty, especially with a drizzle of my habanero sauce!
the mum and DB were duly impressed!

13 Likes

I couldn’t make up my mind where to put this.
Follow-up, because “previously on Boing Boing”? Grifters? Assholes? Enshittification? Odd Stuff? Medical PSAs? Read the article and you’ll see the problem.
So Food it is…

If you also want to look like latex pulled over a T-800 […], you can – for the low, low price of $333 a month.

5 Likes

he lives in a state of perpetual starvation, consuming no more than 1,977 calories a day

That is hardly a starvation diet. It’s a little below the low end of the range of normal daily calorie intake for men.

6 Likes

That would somewhat depend on the level of physical activity.
For men who do nothing but sit in cars and on chairs and couches all day, ~1,500 kcal/day will do.

8 Likes