Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Only other thing I can think of would be wood pigeon, but thats european afaik… maybe wood partridge?

It will be something obvious I overlooked :slight_smile:

5 Likes

can confirm mojarra = tilapia and other freshwater cichlids.
mojarra grunts are a saltwater cousin and fairly common on shallow reefs and around structures. all pretty good eating, even if tilapia is my least favorite fish to eat. right there with catfish - yukkers!

7 Likes

Lobster-corn agnolotti for dinner tonight.

I steamed lobster tails in the liquid from canned sweet corn and reserved the steaming liquid to add to the sauce. Cut the lobster into ~1 cm cubes and softly saute with the corn, reserved steaming liquid, and a generous amt of butter. Once those flavors have mingled take about a cup of the corn and liquid and blend with a tsp corn starch with an immersion blender and add back to the pan. Season with salt and pepper (optional dill). Mix thoroughly and separate half into a mixing bowl and put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes.

You can make your own pasta sheets or buy fresh pasta sheets (which is what I did for this weekday meal). I cut the purchased past sheets into thirds and put ~1 Tbsp of the chilled lobster-corn mix per agnolotti. Once you’ve made all your agnolotti, boil in salted water for about 4 minutes and separate the cooked agnolotti. Add two Tbsp of the pasta water to the other half of the lobster-corn mix in the pan to finish your sauce. Plate the agnolotti and cover with the sauce.

13 Likes

Roast chicken, with onions and lemons and Meyer lemons over hasselback potatoes. I couldn’t remember the name “hasselback” so searched for a recipe for accordion potatoes, looking for something to find the name, but that led to many pages about “tiktok famous accordion potatoes” and not the name. Eventually got to the name hasselback, but that decided I’d interneted enough and just winged it. Came out well.

10 Likes

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/yelp-names-chicago-pizza-spot-best-in-us/

10 Likes

It had dropped down a couple of spots in recent years, so it’s good to see it back on top.

6 Likes

Tonight’s experiment.

When I was younger, before and right after my parents split up in 1974, I had a babysitter, Gloria. She lived right down the street, and could take in me and my brother. (Note: my brother died last August, and I’m planning memorial this summer).

Anyway, Gloria, who was from Cuba, used to make us Arroz con Pollo. This is my first time trying.

19 Likes

Hot pot with a soy milk base (Tonyu Nabe).
With Napa cabbage, large scallions, 3 kinds with of mushrooms, firm tofu, yam noodles, carrots thin sliced pork belly.

15 Likes

Looks like a delicious and successful first attempt!

11 Likes

I keep mixing it and picking up bits to feed my wife (and me).

Sorry to inject the dead brother. But his widow and her mom really appreciated, so there’s that.

13 Likes

No need to ever apologize. You did the best kind of cooking. Something from the heart that resonated beyond just taste and skill.

14 Likes

Oatmeal Walnut Craisin cookies

15 Likes

I hope this is cool to post here, but a good friend of mine is a retired executive chef who is now a stay at home dad, and he started a YouTube channel awhile back. The videos are still a little rough around the edges, but he’s an excellent chef, and his kids are super cute.

12 Likes

DAR-02_20_24-1-5

13 Likes

Just look at them ham themselves up!

12 Likes

12 Likes

i happen to have an over abundance of delicious little bananas ATM. can’t give them away fast enough! one entire buch ~40 bananas is ripe all at once and a second bunch coming in behind that.
that said, there is no way in hell i’m making that dish! no sir, that does not seem delectable at all.

11 Likes

Freeze em, take a few out, peel em, toss em frozen in a blender, zing vegan bannana smoothie/ice cream

9 Likes

oh, yeah. been doing that for some time. banana mango smoothies with a scoop of hemp protein powder are a great start to my day. still have a lot of frozen nanners (and mangoes) from the last harvest.
as a barter item, bananas are pretty cheap. a hand (portion of the bunch - like you would buy at market) of ~8-10 fingers, might get half a dozen eggs from a neighbor raising chickens (who doesn’t have banana trees of their own), or maybe an avocado or two.
going to let ~a dozen get overripe and make an island banana bread with rum and coconut. will report back later.

12 Likes

Rum won’t hurt for sure :slight_smile:

Fresh eggs sound like a great exchange also!

11 Likes