Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

You can peel them first before freezing. Wrap them in a bit of foil or wax paper and keep them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer, ready to use. Once they’re frozen, you can just grab what you want and break apart in a few chunks right into the blender.

11 Likes

i’ve been known to grab a peeled, frozen nanner right out of the freezer on a hot day and eat it like a popsicle!

12 Likes

If you get really fresh eggs do make custard for your banana bread. Real custard is such a treat.

11 Likes

Reminds me of Elvis!

7 Likes

Seems like one of those SAT analogy questions in the making, wherein hollandaise is to that ‘70s dish as ———- is to Elvis’ sandwich, where the blank is peanut butter. :joy:

6 Likes

gravity falls puke GIF

3 Likes

Went to make bangers and mash, as I had plenty of gravy in the freezer. Then I discovered that I had three small gold spuds and a sweet potato, and I only had mixed frozen veg-no plain peas.
So it was a very untraditional dinner, but mom ate it all up, so there’s that.
At least the bangers were proper Irish sausages and the gravy mushroom and onion.

9 Likes

I made mushroom and onion gravy to go with a pot roast tonight. I don’t even really like gravy, but it was quite yummy. I’m discovering that a little teaspoon or so of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or some other umami heavy ingredient makes all kinds of things just a little bit better. Including mushroom gravy.

12 Likes

Another one to consider is miso paste. I usually have a tub of white miso paste on hand, and if a soup or sauce or gravy is needs something, miso to the rescue.

13 Likes

The concentrated tomato paste in a tube is also good. I always have a tube of that in the fridge. All of these (soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, miso paste, concentrated tomato paste) are high in glutamic acids. In other words…it’s all basically a more natural version of MSG.

12 Likes

MSG is a natural version of MSG too!

12 Likes

Ok, natural was probably not the right word. I meant the manufactured, powdered food additive form of MSG. Which is perfectly safe and usable. I’ve been thinking about getting some to keep on hand, actually.

9 Likes

Cauliflower orzo cheese bake, from Alton Brown’s recipe.

11 Likes

Another one that’s perfect for a punch is the anchovy paste that comes in a tube. I haven’t been using it lately, but back when…mwah.

9 Likes

Not coincidentally, Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it. Glutamates make everything taste gooder!

12 Likes

Would you care for a cup of anchovy punch?

Uh…may I just have a glass of water, please?

:wink:

8 Likes

Something I thought was interesting is that a taste for glutamates goes back to the ancestors of the first animals, and because the cells were already excited by it, it got co-opted to use in communication between them and is now one of our main neurotransmitters. You can think of it as neurons loving the taste too. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I’ve found mushroom ketchup to be quite similar to worcestershire in flavor and effect, and I believe it’s veggie at least.

11 Likes

There is also a vegan version of Worcestershire sauce, so there are a couple of options for non-anchovy people.

8 Likes

There’s this too, though the first ingredient is salt.

7 Likes