Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Maybe it’s old news to some of you. But, it’s worth sharing.

9 Likes

I just awoke, and having my first cuppa, and I know I want these!
Holy Crêpe!

7 Likes

“I’m concerned about why I like it” good golly, I’m still giggling over that!

4 Likes

Quick note on Jiffy cornbread mix: it has lard in it (yes, really!) which is a no-no for many diets, both religious and ethical. Check before you serve to guests.

5 Likes

They do apparently make a vegetarian version that doesn’t have lard.

9 Likes

Hey, I’m all fancy! It’s past 11:00am, given the time change today, so I can have brunch instead of breakfast :wink:

Sardines. Brisling, mind you, which I tried thanks to Jennifer Sandlin; they really are better than regular sardines.

Store-bought whole wheat bread with pesto. I discovered that it helps to butter the bread first, otherwise the oil in the pesto just sinks right in, and you can’t spread it.

Those are my cooking tips for today, lol

9 Likes

Lard can be heavenly, but it won’t ever be halal, kosher or veggie/vegan

6 Likes

You’re too easily influenced by adverts.

14 Likes

Your loss, I’m sorry.

4 Likes

gotta have manteca for tortillas y tamales!

5 Likes

Like, lard from humans, or is LARD an abbreviation for something? Because there is no way that wasn’t meant as a horror movie poster.

6 Likes

Well spotted; it’s from Quatermass IV. One of Nigel Kneale’s lesser known works.

7 Likes

Boo, on the way home from work we stopped to check on a house we babysit for the winter while the owners are in sunny warm weather.

It’s a huge house, I opened the basement door and heard that running water sound. One of the 50 gallon water heaters ruptured and the floor drain was clogged. What a mess.

We’re tired so no corn muffins, we’re skipping right to dinner.

Bacon covered pork loin with mashed potatoes.

Your crepe photos reminded me of Good Fridays at my grandma’s.

Only we called them egg pancakes. Four cast iron pans cooking up dozens of those things for a house full of people. With Velveeta macaroni and cheese.

I think that’s going to be our next Friday lenten meal.

My wife eats them with fruit or apple sauce. The only way I eat them is with butter and dark Karo corn syrup.

Stack 3 of them, load with butter, roll 'em up and cover them with syrup.

Yup, I know that’s what’s we’re having, something to look forward to.

6 Likes

I have never seen that before…thank you!

6 Likes

Is it just me or does the guy in that picture have major “I vant to suck your blood” vibes?

2 Likes

He does not drink… vine.

8 Likes

Sorry for the late response, I’m reading through this thread in batches.

This is your best friend for that sort of thing: it makes everything savoury better, not just mushroom -flavoured foods

(For the record, it does contain MSG, but I think we have collectively moved past that scare)

10 Likes

We have, although apparently now some people consider the use of MSG to be “cheating” somehow. Like a good cook shouldn’t have to resort to using MSG to make their food taste good. People are so weird.

11 Likes

Apple Charlotte, my first time making it. I think it’s

what you make when you want apple pie and just don’t feel like making crust. I do not like it as much as pie or crisp.

8 Likes

I wonder whether they say the same thing about salt…

10 Likes