Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Coconut milk and curry tilapia.

Korean spicy meatballs.

ETA Some notes:

I have to improve the presentation of the dishes.

Ask my wife for more help when taking photos. She has a lot of good ideas and insights

Tilapia has A LOT of bones. You have to eat very carefully. The roof of my mouth felt like a pincushion.

Next time I’ll choose another fish, perhaps dogfish.

I wasn´t brave enough to go full Korean so didn´t put too much pepper.

14 Likes

I saw these guys perform here in SF at Slims. Thanks for the memories.

4 Likes

I wish I could find the video version in japanese. I love them.

4 Likes

Eggs, bacon and English muffins.
Sunday breakfast.

11 Likes

Korean food warns its eaters of its spice level very easily. Bright red = DANGER!!

10 Likes

National Geographic Film GIF by Nat Geo Wild

That´s me, pretending I´m going to get a beer, leaving the table.I never go full Korean, Bahiano, Mexican, Thai or Indian. I like pepper, but in small doses.

8 Likes

I’ve made Tteokbokki! Not the rice cakes themselves from scratch but i did make the sauce from scratch and it was easy and tasty :slight_smile: loooove the chewy texture of the rice cakes. And yes it was pretty spicy, but tolerable for me though if i were to make it again in the future i would definitely bring the heat down. My stomach doesn’t seem to handle spice as well as it used to, despite my taste buds loving it.

Edit: Also there is a variation of this dish that i would love to try making. It is
Gungjung Tteokbokk

13 Likes

Ooh Gungjung Tteokbokk looks great and the recipe is easy to make with ingredients I have at home or can easily get.

4 Likes

Now that i think about it i want to say i tried making it at home but i didnt really follow a recipe :stuck_out_tongue: i just looked at the ingredients and just… threw stuff together with what i had. But i still would like to make a more accurate attempt as i bet it would taste amazing. If you do make it please share.

Edit: When i did mine i did pan fry the rice cakes some (not a lot just enough to get the outside some light texture), and i really enjoyed it though i don’t know how typical doing so is for Koreans but i can imagine it’s not atypical to do.

5 Likes

Polenta with mushroom ragu.

15 Likes

By the way, your ragu seems to be tasty+

16 Likes

We have plates and small bowls that look just like yours and Bakeneko

Gavin Free Love GIF by Rooster Teeth

13 Likes

Almost 200 year old hand written treasure trove of more than 150 yellowing, rag-paper pages containing dozens of recipes for everything from catsup to plague cures.
Also, I am aways knocked out over the lost art of long hand writing.

13 Likes

– or –

(I know, I know, I just thought it was funny)

11 Likes

If you find the plumb bob in your piece of cake it ensures a year of good fortune ahead.
And a broken tooth.

12 Likes

Broken tooth? Could be worse.

7 Likes

Is it chemistry or mixology?

both GIF

9 Likes

i have some vodka. i have some peanut butter, but i suppose i need smooth peanut butter for this… concoction. that is not something i keep on hand.

i do wonder if this “fat washing” is how they make bacon vodka?

8 Likes

Never heard of it before, but sounds like a fun experiment to try. Maybe try again. And maybe again.

Drunk Turn Up GIF by Laff

9 Likes

Anyone have any inspiration for a solar-eclipse-themed signature cocktail?

7 Likes