Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Appropriate.

angry liam neeson GIF

It’s worth it. There’s less burn and a cleaner taste than even the genuine packaged wasabi.

ETA: they’ve been growing wasabi on the Oregon coast quietly for a couple of decades. It’s pretty pricey but worth it if you are having a gathering with sushi or sashimi as the star of the show.

6 Likes

Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.
Do you grow any Herbs?

9 Likes

Minimum of 3 kinds of basil every summer. Rosemary, parsley, and thyme (though we forget about that one). The parsley gets pretty nibbled by the swallow tail caterpillars, so sometimes we end up buying that.
Tried rue but it was kind of aggressive!

Flowering basil makes for a pretty and fragrant flower arrangement the cat won’t eat.

11 Likes

I have sage, thyme and oregano that grow year round. I plant basil every year.

12 Likes

Sage, rosemary, laurel, thyme, chives, mint, curry plant (more for decoration), basil indoors.

8 Likes

year-round herbs here are Thai basil and curry leaf. coriander shrivels even in the shade in hot months. we had a perennial rosemary bush that grew monstrous and had to be eliminated (i don’t really use it anymore - something changed for me and i can do without it). mint, under the water spigot gets big, as it is shaded by the carambola tree, but it turns bitter. could be the variety, dunno. green onions for the tops, garlic, ginger and galangal rounds it out for us.

8 Likes

Year-round(for the most part): rosemary, chives, oregano, mint, and lavender.
Indoors: basil

6 Likes

Thank you for the California Wasabi. It was very good. What a crazy adventure!

6 Likes

I see.

I forgot about the characteristics of the bogs. How could I forget about the bog people that I saw at Dublin Museum?

6 Likes

My mom was able to grow cilantro/coriander in the shade successfully in Houston TX, she had a small sectioned off area in the back yard next to the house that would get blasted by the sun so we set up a mesh on the top and sides to shade it. Did pretty well but the taste of the herb was powerful so you’d have to use way less than you needed in dishes. It grew really well and you couldn’t really use much of it so my mom let it die off during the winter freeze and hasn’t bothered growing more.

8 Likes

hmm. sounds feasible, but gotta remember, Houston, TX is at lat. 30N while i’m at 25N. whether that makes any difference, i am thinking to grow small batches (bunches?) indoors and see how that goes. we already do microgreen sprouts indoors. radish, broccoli and clover make a spicy little mix that is good on salads and even tacos! i have grown fond of rocket/arugula on sandwiches and breakfast burritos. cilantro is expensive here at $1.25 for a wimpy little bunch that maybe makes 4 tacos! more and more i just chop up some of our arugula as a bitter, yet flavorful green on dishes that might use cilantro. works as garnish, too.

7 Likes

I would imagine growing it indoors will be easier :slight_smile: i need to set up an area in my backyard for herbs but trying to fix up the front and backyard. It’s been very slow progress.

6 Likes

I love ‘real’ wasabi. It is lovely to know it can be sustainably grown locally. And it would be great to see a head-to-head taste test.

6 Likes

My aunt taught me how to grow scallions in a cup of coffee. But as I have three cats, It is Impossible to keep plant pots around.

8 Likes

The dangers of eating bog Wasabi are real. If you are not with an experienced wild wasabi hunter stay away kids!

4 Likes

Baker Creek sells wasabi seeds. we tried it one year and only got stunted, knotty and gnarly roots that were very harsh. our climate and soil are just not good for it.
the greens were good, tho.

6 Likes

I grow a host of herbs every year! Having multiple parsleys on hand is delightful for a number of reasons. I also like at least two basils: sweet and purple, etc.

One of my absolute favorite things to cook with is Lemon Thyme, which is a tough-as-nails perennial we’ve luckily had for years. It’s a real power player in the kitchen.

7 Likes

Good afternoon. What can I do with peanut butter :peanuts:? This type of ingredient is not common here and is generally expensive. I found a pack about to expire at the supermarket and as it was on sale, I decided to take it. Besides jelly sandwiches, which I always see on TV shows, what could you do with peanut butter :peanuts:?

10 Likes

It can make a nice peanut sauce, it can be added to brownies, it can be mixed with crunchy cereal to make a tasty snack, or can go in a smoothie.

11 Likes

A lot of baked goods if you’re into that :slight_smile: But a quick look online should prove most helpful. Here’s a list from Bon Apetit to begin with, a lot of the recipes in there looked real good

10 Likes