Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Headbang Rocking Out GIF

10 Likes

Love the presentation, but that amount of yeast, with salt poured directly on top, did set my teeth on edge!

7 Likes

What, and not the deathmetal? :laughing:

4 Likes

Nah, that was great!

6 Likes

Yeah that was
an odd choice. That might explain why it took the dough 3 hours to rise, actually.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Does Georgia have the right sort of soil, though? I mean, clay isn’t the best choice for growing those grapes.

But I’d still do the tour if I were there!

3 Likes

Seems to work up in the foothills, which think maybe has less of the red clay.

I read something about the industry’s growth a while ago, so let me see if I can dig it up

[ETA] This is not the article I was thinking about, but this one has some history (and interviews the people that Dulce did in her piece):

From UGA (which has a robust agricultural program):

And from the wrong public broadcaster in GA (#teamwabe4evahRIPwras)

This one talks about the soil issue a bit

8 Likes
6 Likes

It’s only one step off a lot of other definitely traditional Roman pasta dishes, cacio e pepe, alla gricia, and so on, I can imagine US soldiers enjoying something like that after a lot of rations, but I’m not convinced it took American ingenuity to add an egg to pasta alla gricia.

6 Likes

Content warning: moi​st.
Spoiler alert: hot air fryer action is mentioned, but not actually shown.

13 Likes

It’s so only the most metal yeast cells survive?

6 Likes

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

7 Likes

This looks super interesting, wish I was still there.

9 Likes

First on the list in this article:

6 Likes

First beer of the year. Its some kind of IPA. Made using CTZ hops, strawberries, and raspberries all from the garden. ABV will be a little under 5%. No idea how bitter it will be. The transfer to the fermenter almost ended in disaster because all the fruit mush and whole hops kept clogging my drain, and I didnt think to use a brewing bag. Derp. You can see hop petals (bracts?) floating on top of the foam.

Used some of the spent grain to make bread. I probably could have proofed it a little longer but it was getting late, so it ended up a little dense. Two parts bread flour to one part spent grain.

14 Likes

Anyone else hosting/cooking for a Seder tonight? What’s on the table? What are your particular traditions, even if no-one else seems to know them?
We’re having chicken soup with matzoh balls, gefilte fish (salmon and whitefish), lamb braised with pomegranate, lentil and chickpea stew, bulgar pilaf, oven roasted zucchini and yellow squash, and green salad, with a chocolate nut cake and a kugle made with orzo, pineapple and coconut milk for dessert.
I can’t be bothered to remove foods that don’t have actual leveling in them from the menu.
My family always has hard boiled eggs in salt water, which I haven’t seen elsewhere.

8 Likes

Going to Seder at the home of our best friend’s parents this evening (we are not Jewish). They like to do Seder potluck style so I only know some of the menu. It’s tradition for them to have chicken matzo ball soup and brisket. Plus all the foods for the Seder plate.
We will bring a variety of salad pieces: baby spinach, spring mix, pepitas, feta, carrots, tomatoes and home-made ranch and vinaigrette. All separate to cater to different needs and tastes.
Daughter and son-in-law (our besties) are making matzo crack for dessert.

ETA: they don’t keep Kosher. We double checked on bringing cheese.

10 Likes

I asked AI how to hard cook Quail eggs.
What do you think?
(I haven’t tryed this yet)
IMG_6404

3 Likes

I made a potato kugel, with potato, egg, and onion, with a little smoked paprika. Could not find the Cuisinart stalk for grating discs, so did ten potatoes and two onions with a box grater. It baked for an hour and a half to get it crispy. Prep and baking was a convenient time frame to catch up on a few episodes of ST:Disco, so it wasn’t a bad use of time. At the seder, was chicken and brisket, chicken free matzah ball soup (a cousin is vegetarian, but eats eggs), matzoh rolls, Sephardic (date, nuts, prune) charoset, asparagus, chocolate matzah bark for dessert.
ETA: there was also gefilte fish, which I forgot as I don’t enjoy recalling the fact gefilte fish exists.

6 Likes