Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Veggie lasagna. Consisting of lentil pasta sheets, mandolined sweet potatoes, tomato sauce and ricotta and some mozzarella.

8 Likes

Adam Ragusea did it, too, just to understand how it all works.

9 Likes

Understand The Good Doctor GIF by ABC Network

This is my preferred Peanut butter recipe. Your experience may vary.

Trash Throw Away GIF by Jomboy Media

7 Likes

@BakaNeko
describing my peanut butter based chicken-and-egg curry, i got to hankering after that dish, myself. so, i made some and (humble brag) it was as good as i remembered!
started with a whole onion, chopped, two chili peppers - one green, one red - about 6 cloves of garlic smashed and minced, three carrots. all of these were softened in hot sesame oil before adding about 150gm peanut butter. stirring to mix without sticking, add the coconut milk slowly all the while stirring. then 550ml chicken stock. add potatoes. chicken goes in next, 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs that i gave a special marinade to, overnight. marinade consists of 100ml fish sauce, 100ml soy sauce, 50ml each sesame oil and rice vinegar, 100ml applesauce and 250ml dry sake and a good 150gm pepper paste left over from fermenting red chillies.
get all that to simmering, add in 6 medium hard boiled eggs (shelled) and one sprig of curry leaf. dry seasonings include hot Jamaican curry, cumin and chat masala. stewed that for several hours until the chicken shredded and potatoes were soft.
served over steamed basmati rice.

my understanding is that this style of curry is Indonesian, Malaysian and the peanut butter stands in for prepared bumbu (a peanut and seasoning concoction usually found in a block, much like a bullion cube - but with peanuts.
that’s how i remember it. :hugs:

14 Likes

Did I miss the Eclipse?
There is a cookie for that!

10 Likes

I’ve been enjoying Sohla El-Waylly’s cooking 101 series…

Might be basic for some more advanced cooks, but lots of useful info in the series.

10 Likes

I love her. And even more experienced cooks can always learn things. I love watching good cooking basics videos. I often learn something I didn’t know.

11 Likes

This looks interesting to try.

8 Likes

Sohla is an amazing cook, and i particularly love the vids she makes with her husband where they make together a whole meal with several dishes with a mystery ingredient.

9 Likes

And they have like an hour to get it done! Yeah, those are great! I enjoy her ancient recipes series, too!

7 Likes

I keep nuts instead. The act of chewing itself prolongs the eating and seems to make me fill up.

9 Likes

@FloridaManJefe I’m making ceviche for dinner tonight. Any tips? I know to salt the fish first. How long do you let it “cure” in the citrus juice?

9 Likes

this is my favorite way of making ceviche:

you can add or subtract some of the peppers, to your taste. you can also add cucumbers. serve with toastados and fresh avocado slices! and plenty of ice cold Modelo or your cerveza of choice!

10 Likes

After exactly 2 months I finally made it back to the same Mexican food truck to have mojarra for lunch with the same coworker. It was great

And in my previous post I mentioned something about pigeon on the menu. After pressing the cook there for specifics she first said it was pigeon, then codorniz (which is quail) but I think they might mean a Cornish hen? If they do serve quail or pigeon/dove then I might have to try it. But on their menu they have it listed as Wilotas, a Google search pegs the spelling as Huilotas for pigeon and Guilotas for quail so I’m unsure.

11 Likes

Holy Crap! I have owned some of these.

5 Likes

Gingerbread, from Beard on Bread.

I was mostly through the recipe, realized I didn’t have ground ginger, so used a bunch of fresh ginger and some allspice. Added dates, raisins and walnuts too.

9 Likes

I do too, or have a small amount of oatmeal with a handful of nuts.

5 Likes

I used to think I didn’t like gingerbread. Figured out I have a thing about allspice. Looks yum tho

9 Likes

Worst. Sandwich. Ever.

:wink:

10 Likes

Thank you for the reminder! They turned out almost as good as the local Oaxacan restaurant’s ceviche. Almost…

6 Likes