Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Have I mentioned the vegan hack for schmaltz that I’ve used for things like motzo balls?

Basically, mince onions as fine as possible, and slowly sauté them in oil or vegan butter until they’ve completely denatured themselves into a mush that replicates schmaltz.

Weird, but it works.

8 Likes

The story I always heard is that they handed their rations of bacon and egg powder to local cooks. So both stories can be right: it was invented by Italians based on pasta alla gricia and all its siblings (cacio e pepe, amatriciana) and yet could only be created in the context of the immediate post war period.

What I don’t understand is how this is such a difficult question to answer. There are still people alive (though fewer and fewer each year) who remember prewar cuisine and we have cookbooks galore from that time .

5 Likes

Might that work even better if you grated the onions?

3 Likes

Bring to a boil over low heat? How’s that supposed to work?

Boiling quail eggs should be no different than boiling chicken eggs, except don’t cook them as long. You don’t need to add anything like vinegar or baking soda to the water. It doesn’t do anything. Bring the water to a boil first. If you start with cold water, the amount of time you need to cook them will vary based on how cold the water was, how much water you have, how big your burner is, whether it’s gas or electric, etc. That’s too many variables. Bring the water to a boil first. Then you know the water temperature and the cooking time will be the same every time, just varying based on the size of the eggs. I’d probably try 6 minutes to start. Then plunge them immediately into an ice bath. When they’ve cooled enough to handle, crack them and put them back in the ice bath until they’ve cooled completely. This will make them easier to peel.

7 Likes

growing up, we raised Japanese quail and ate their eggs many ways. there is nothing different about boiling them than any other poultry egg (as noted above by @danimagoo ). mum would boil a couple dozen at once, peel them, then pickle them with vinegar/ beer brine with garlic and jalapenos. really cute! i also liked them raw on top of a hot bowl of grits.
quail eggs are yummy!

10 Likes

They also make nice scotch egg-two bite sized and much easier to cope with than the bigger ones.

6 Likes

Interesting question. Is the cooking to break down the onions required, or can they be 95% broken down before the application of heat?

Clearly testing is needed! I’m not in a place to do that for the next few days at least, but it’s definitely worth pursuing.

An interesting bit of back story: I learned this technique from Spattulata (sp?), two young Jewish vegetarian sisters creating videos about their cooking exploits. The recipe and/or video no longer seems to be available on their site. At the time, they were very young, and so mincing might have seemed less dangerous than grating on a box grater? They were marketing their videos to other children, after all.

7 Likes

Unfortunately this year, my uncle, the usual Seder host for my family, is hospitalized and his kids are in a rather nasty tiff.

But it typically is:
Gefilte fish and chopped liver appetizers on small party sized matzohs.
Choice of matzoh ball or split pea soup.
Turkey that typically needed a lot of gravy (that side of the family are all meh cooks).
Side dishes Potato kugel, roasted asparagus, and yams

My family does the same thing.

8 Likes

I just made them as a part of a stir fry dish.
Real easy:

1. Get water boiling
  2. Put them in for 3-4 minutes depending on how runny you want the yolk
  3. Get them out and cool them down with cold water

Peeling is easy. The shells are a less brittle and more leathery than chicken eggs. So its easy to peel the membrane behind the shell use flowing water to separate the egg.

6 Likes

In our (new) Haggadah it says they represent new life and beginnings. The roasted egg on the Seder plate is to have two cooked foods, but there was no commentary on that.

3 Likes

I’m asking because I’ve made curries before that used grated onions as a base for the gravy. So I know that it works and is delicious. But maybe it browns too quickly to develop the flavours you’re after. As you say, experimentation is in order.

6 Likes

The makers of my favourite popcorn in Chicago just went out of business today. I must savour my last bag.

https://foxtrotco.com/

I hazz a sad.

11 Likes

Porcini ravioli with ramps :grinning:

Ravioli was store bought.

13 Likes

There’s something very odd about that. They and Dom’s had just announced a merger, plus new store locations, and then almost overnight they’re like “nope, we closed for good today”. No hint that I heard of before today’s announcement. Hard to keep a secret like that.

8 Likes

It’s sad when a favorite food or drink place goes out of business.
I am still suffering over SF’s own Acme beer closing.

5 Likes

Yes, I have a memory of my Mother serving this one time. I think she painted the top of the Spam with yellow mustard.
“Cold or Hot Spam hits the Spot”

5 Likes

My daughter is a big fan of Spam musubi.

8 Likes

I used to eat Spam a lot (Ha!) when I was a kid, but I haven’t had it in years. When I moved to New Jersey and was introduced to Taylor Ham/pork roll, my first impression was that it reminded me of spam. I tend to keep that opinion to myself now. It’s heresy in New Jersey to speak ill of Taylor Ham/pork roll.

8 Likes

Ooh, a Chicago style pizza I could get behind. I’m going to have to try this.

13 Likes

Make a Southern boy’s heart melt! (Then clog, but that’s a different story!)

6 Likes