Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I have never tried. Looks so good!

4 Likes

Korean fire chicken (buldak) with tubular rice cakes

13 Likes

The rice cakes are so good, love the texture :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I really do as well. I think it comes from being raised on potato dumplings (Kartoffelknƶdel), which have a similar texture. Thatā€™s also why I opted for the tubular kind over the more traditional sliced kind for this dish. More chew.

8 Likes

the lord of the rings actor GIF

9 Likes

One of Mike Oldfieldā€™s lesser known albums.

16 Likes

Holy crap!
Micro plastics in our food and water.
ā€œ If the plastic is small enough, fruits and vegetables can absorb microplastics through their root systems and transfer those chemical bits to the plantā€™s stems, leaves, seeds and fruit.ā€

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/22/health/plastics-food-wellness-scn?cid=ios_app

8 Likes

Oh my sweet summer child! I am guessing you have not had a food discussion with Italians on the origin of some dish?

Bless you!

6 Likes

Even if itā€™s a dish everyone makes-my nonnaā€™s recipe is right and yours is wrong.

6 Likes

For four hours. Maybe five if there are many courses!

I love Italy, Italians, and Italian food butā€¦. sometimes it can go abit over the top!

ETA
My Italian friends in Ireland so often have that expression of ā€œI am biting my lip here because you all are not capable of understanding any of the nuance hereā€.

And to be fair, theyā€™re not wrong. We grew up eating shit.

6 Likes

Aloo gobi and naan. Naan was not made in my toaster, just storing it there to keep it warm.

7 Likes

How do you flatten / roll out your naan? The dough is so sticky and flouring my hands (or rolling pin) and the counter doesnā€™t help much. I used a LOT of flour too, over a quarter cup.

4 Likes

The recipe I used wasnā€™t that sticky (flour, yoghurt, salt and baking powder), that sat in oiled bowl for an hour. I felt I may have overoiled the bowl, but possibly from the oil, it was rather easy to roll out, (rolling pin, rolling mat) and the unbaked were stacked on top of each other, but didnā€™t stick.

2 Likes

My go to recipe uses buttermilk rather than yogurt, donā€™t know if thatā€™s the issue. Iā€™ll try oiling the bowl next time. This was the first time I used the stand mixer rather than the bread machine (on dough cycle), and Iā€™m going to be transferring to another bowl since it was rather difficult to deal with the very unbalanced mixer bowl, so Iā€™ll oil that new one.

The buttermilk recipe lets me do naan on the spur of the moment, since Iā€™ve been using the powder. Donā€™t need to worry about getting and/or keeping yogurt.

6 Likes

I assumed the oiling the bowl was a way of protecting the dough from drying out while it was rising, as Iā€™ve seen it as a step in other breads that arenā€™t rolled out, but I think it made the rolling easier too.

ETA : mixed it by hand, came together into dough relatively quickly. This recipe:

5 Likes

This is the one I use:

5 Likes

IMHO (Iā€™m a noob baker) the oil is mostly to stop the dough sticking to the sides of the bowl when proving or resting, like when making focaccia which is pretty high hydration.

5 Likes

I usually do naan on a hot griddle, Iā€™m going to try it in the oven like that. The flour I use to make it not stick (naan is a m o i s t dough) tends to smoke so I donā€™t like making it much to my kidsā€™ disappointment.

With the oven on I should probably make vegan butter chicken which the whole house likes. Cauliflower in case you are wondering. Itā€™s great.

6 Likes

My ā€œjust woke up brainā€ didnā€™t register the correct meaning of ā€œnoobā€, but instead I thought it was another variety of flatbread. One of the last clues of a crossword we were doing before we fell asleep was the name ā€œNoorā€, which may have factored into it.

6 Likes

When life sells me limes, I make lime juice.

11 Likes