Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Oh, lordy, initially I thought “fried steak and blackberry cake” was one thing! I was baffled. That looks wonderful, though.

8 Likes

One of the meat trifles.

7 Likes

Mu shu chicken.

10 Likes

No link? Okay if I link it for those who may not have seen it last week? (I like information.) Thanks for reporting on your own experience. Did you make note of your quantities, by any chance?

9 Likes

Yeah, I did a ratio of 1:2:2 for dry pasta:milk:cheese. In this case it was 8 oz of dry pasta, so 16 of cheese/milk. The roux was 1/4 cup of butter and 2 Tbsp of flour. I used ground clove and bay, because it’s what I have on hand, and it was just a pinch of each. I’d like to try it with whole, and I would probably do one bay leaf and 2-3 cloves. Pepper according to taste.

9 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

No problem! On further thought, I’m pretty sure that I only used 8 oz of cheese. So the ratio would be 1:1:2 (pasta:cheese:milk). I think that I meant to use 16, but remember weighing out 8.

4 Likes

Clove instead of nutmeg? Hmmm, that’s a thought!

5 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought of nutmeg, either, but it sounds like it would be good. What other herbs/spices do you use in a combo with it? I don’t have much experience making mac & cheese, unless it’s from the box.

7 Likes

A little nutmeg is common in what is essentially a bechamel sauce.

9 Likes

Fresh bread and a new treat.

Yuzu marmalade was a gift.

OMG so good!

I’ve made pretty fine marmalade from my backyard container citrus - Meyer lemon and calamondin - but they pale in comparison to this nectar of the gods. Must get a yuzu tree!

17 Likes

The possibilities are endless, just look at different regions’ cuisines and what their common spices and flavorings are. Just off the top of my head you could do sumac mac n cheese (for a great pun), zataar, allspice, kimchi (or gochujang, doesang ,etc for korean flavors), etc. As far as actual recipes i did find one that i think has a high possibility of being good: Miso Mac n cheese

7 Likes

Oh, and in answer to your question, when making Mac & cheese a little mustard powder (or Dijon) is a good addition to spark the cheese flavor.

9 Likes

Mustard is also a decent emulsifier so it’ll help a bit with the cheese sauce’s texture :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Well, if you make the bechamel correctly….!

8 Likes

Just as background, this mac and cheese recipe came up in a discussion over cheese sauce vs chunks of cheese in white sauce. The cheese chunks you can see in the picture above are supposed to be there and not emulsified like in a regular mac and cheese sauce.

8 Likes

Told ya.

8 Likes

Trad Bechamel, in my experience, is bay and some cloves in the roux before the toasting of it. I throw in black peppercorns because I can.
Oh, and pan toast it on the blond side.

7 Likes

11 Likes

What’s in that?

6 Likes