Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Kraft macaroni and cheese and ice tea. Two different items, not combined. I think I was seven or so. I made what would today be considered sweet tea.

8 Likes

this may sound a little bit strange (iā€™m avoiding labeling my early food prep attempts as ā€œwierdā€ at this time :wink:),
but my first things that i could reliably make for myself, and dear brother, was a version of Fritoā„¢ pie taught to me by my papi:
Abuela Deltitaā€™s Fritoā„¢ corn chip ā€œpieā€

• one bag of original Fritoā€™s brand corn chips
  • one can of canned chilli, no beans
  • one cup (cooked) white rice (as kids, we were very accustomed to Minute Rice instant rice)
  • chopped onion
  • grated cheddar cheese
  • red chili hot sauce (my first was Louisiana hot sauce - like Frankā€™s or Texas Peteā€™s).

it was how it was plated that was so important, even to a 12yo kid and his little brother:
start with a big scoop of the steamed white rice in the middle of the plate.
follow with a solid ring of corn chips around that scoop.
pour the hot chilli (back then it was Wolf brand ā€œtexasā€ chilli - we called it ā€œwolfdog chilliā€) over the chips, then smother in the chopped onions and cheese.
apply hot sauce to taste.

yes. this was something that i could - and did - make for DB and me when we were home alone and we ate it up!
our breakfast alternate was that same canned chilli (still no beans) on top of scrambled eggs, topped again with cheese and hot sauce and served with flour tortillas.

so, @kentkb , not exactly ā€œSloppy Joesā€, more sloppy Jefes, was our comfort food item that we learned to make for ourselves.

15 Likes

Lemon zest cookies using lemons from our lemon tree, used to make those a lot as a kid which is amusing because as an adult i donā€™t like to bake but i was more enthusiastic about it as a kid. Though if i want to be totally honest the first thing i ever made as a kid was milk for cereal made from powdered milk, made it in a blender and was maybe 6yo? :thinking:

12 Likes

My first full meal made by myself as a kid

The weekend breakfast:
2 eggs scrambled
Bacon in the microwave
Toast

My go-to weekday thing, toaster oven ā€œgrilledā€ cheese sandwich.

10 Likes

Cherry pie. Used the recipe on the back of the canned sour cherries to make pie filling, dumped in a frozen crust. But I did thaw and cut up a second frozen pie crust into strips to weave a lattice top.

11 Likes

very grown up!
i love that both you and @Grey_Devil were bakers, first! Dear Brother loved to make cookies, as well (still does).
i did not find baking until i learned my first wifeā€™s grandmotherā€™s bread recipe, which informs me today.

:musical_note: ā€œcan she bake a cherry pie/ with a dimple in her chinā€¦/
sheā€™s a young girl and cannot leave her mother.
ā€

8 Likes

Probably chocolate chip cookies when I was 7 or so. I had been given an easy bake oven, and once mom saw how expensive it would be to keep buying the packages of cake mix for the thing I was taught how to make the real thing. By the time I was nine I could do bacon and eggs by myself, and it went on from there.

8 Likes

I did greatly enjoy making baked goods, it was mostly cookies and little muffins (they were unfrosted so would not consider them cupcakes). But yeah, my adult brain enjoys cooking meals over baking. In fact tonight i made one of my fave easy recipes, i believe i have posted the recipe before but it was Taiwanese Sesame Noodles. Itā€™s crazy easy to make.

As an aside, and speaking of cherry pies:

9 Likes

9f336e26-0c14-486a-867c-240b088dc02d_text

5 Likes

I was the youngest kid, and my mom went back to work when I was in second grade. At first I had to stay at school for the lunch period and eat in the cafeteria. But by age nine or ten I was allowed to walk home and let myself into the house to fix my own lunch, and then walk back to school. I remember cooking hot dogs in a frying pan on the gas stove. For dessert I would have something called ā€œShake-a Puddā€™nā€ā€” instant pudding that came in individual packets, with disposable lidded cups to shake it up in, and which set up quickly.

The first thing I ever made from scratch for the whole family was Light-as-a-Feather Gingerbread, the same recipe that my mom used, from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, when I was ten years old. Itā€™s my go-to recipe for gingerbread to this day. My family served it with whipped cream (not real whipped creamā€”something called Dream Whip) but as an adult I serve it with lemon sauce. Always a hit.

14 Likes

Iā€™m finding the answers to this question really interesting!

I cannot remember a time when I wasnā€™t cooking for the family, so I have no specific memory that can answer your question. But I will say that your question has made me realize I do the same thing now that the kids are grown and on their own that I used to do as a child: if I donā€™t HAVE to cook for others, I just cobble stuff together with as little cooking as possible. Didnā€™t have a microwave as a child or young adult, but even heating something up in one is more effort than I usually want to expend when I donā€™t have to. Iā€™ll eat an avocado for dinner, say.

So, clearly I need to sit with that a bit to understand how I can value feeding myself well without triggering thoughts of it being work forced on me. Thanks for that glimmer into my psyche!

16 Likes

I remember those commercials!

You know the drill: recipe, please.

10 Likes

Maybe Iā€™ll get my popcorn again?

8 Likes

Thereā€™s a real Private Equity feel about this.

8 Likes

And the lemon sauce too please.

Hungry Give Me GIF by Naomi Maria

9 Likes

I can understand the sentiment, i quite like cooking but often times the barrier that i face is just not having the mental energy to do it. Wish I had a good tip for working through it but I donā€™t lol. I am trying to be better about cooking more, but trying new recipes does often encourage me to cook.

10 Likes
13 Likes

Homemade whole wheat tortillas. All that in the background is just leftovers, the tortillas were the star. Growing up, mom used butter and freshly ground whole wheat flour. In the humidity, I feel like olive oil works better and I have yet to spring for the stone flour mill. Maybe someday when I feel rich.

This is the first time I made a batch that I feel are as good as my momā€™s. Woo hoo!

In case you would like to try, itā€™s 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and about 2/3 cup of water.

The dough is a little bit sticky, but shouldnā€™t be so sticky that it globs on the hands. Knead for about 5 minutes, and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes under plastic wrap or a bowl. Knead again for a minute or two, and separate into 16 balls. I prefer them small.

Roll each one out thin, and cook on a hot (but not too hot) griddle. Flip when you can see a few nice large bubbles. Once flipped, and once the bubbles start to re-inflate, use the spatula to press just a little so the bubble spreads and makes a pocket. I hope Iā€™m explaining that OK, itā€™s not pressing all the way down, just manipulating the steam inside and sending it out from the original bubble. They do puff up better when they are more round, but they do not need to be round to be good. They donā€™t even need to puff to be good.

My childhood delight was momā€™s tortillas with peanut butter and honey. Or, just honey :smiley:

17 Likes

My pleasure! As you can see, theyā€™re not fancy. Since Iā€™ve made a few minor tweaks over the years, Iā€™ll type it up to reflect my own small changes.

Light-as-a-Feather Gingerbread

(Slightly modified from an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, probably 1940s)

Ā½ cup boiling water
Ā½ cup unsalted butter
Ā½ cup light brown sugar
Ā½ cup light molasses
1 egg

1Ā½ cups flour
Ā¼ teaspoon salt
Ā½ teaspoon baking powder
Ā½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Grease and flour pan. Preheat oven to 350ā„‰.

In a large heat-proof mixing bowl, pour boiling water over butter. Add sugar and molasses; blend together. Add egg; beat well.

In a separate container, mix dry ingredients together; add to the wet mixture and beat until smooth.

8-inch square pan: bake 35 minutes
9-inch round pan: bake 35 minutes
9x5-inch loaf pan: bake 55 minutes

[The original recipe called for shortening rather than butter, Ā½ tsp salt, and only Ā¾ tsp each of ginger and cinnamon. And to bake it in a waxed-paper-lined pan.]

Lemon Sauce

Ā½ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
ā…› teaspoon salt
ā…› teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup boiling water

2 Tablespoons butter
1Ā½ Tablespoons lemon juice

In a saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and nutmeg. Gradually stir in the boiling water and cook over low heat until thick and clear. Remove from heat. Add butter and lemon juice; stir in thoroughly.

14 Likes

Melons in fishnets.
Weird or wonderful?

13 Likes