Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Mine is kind of embarrassing, but offered here in the interest of science. I know I was at least 10 years old, and not sure long this went on, but this was my breakfast sandwich invention:
Toasted white bread with deviled ham and cheese whiz.
It was a whole thing, timed down to the second. Bread in the toaster, cheese whiz in the microwave, 30 seconds then stir, repeat. By the time the toaster dings, enough cheese whiz has liquified to pour on the bread. Deviled ham on the other piece, slap together and cut diagonally. Best enjoyed while watching morning cartoons.

As far as I know, Iā€™m the only person whoā€™s ever eaten this gustatory curiosity. Basically a chewable salt lick :joy:

16 Likes

Gosh, Iā€™m not sure. My mom cooked a lot when I was growing up, and she got me and my brother to help from a young age, so I can remember making pancakes, scrambled eggs, cookies, cakes, and things like that for really as far back as my memory goes. However, as far as a ā€œgo-toā€ food goes, probably the simple bologna sandwich. And thereā€™s a reason for this. I was a super picky eater as a child. I mean to the extreme. The only vegetables I would eat were green beans, corn, potatoes, and carrots. And I didnā€™t really like those all that much. I also wouldnā€™t eat food that consisted of a bunch of disparate things mixed together. Like casseroles. And my mom made a lot of casseroles. I also wouldnā€™t eat cheese, oddly enough. So the things I would eat were very limited. But my mom had a rule. You eat what she cooked, or you made something yourself. So as soon as I was old enough to slap a slice of bologna between two slices of bread, I ate a lot of bologna sandwiches. I ate so many of those growing up that as an adult, until about the last 10 years or so, I could not stand the sight or smell of bologna. I still donā€™t like regular bologna, but Boarā€™s Head garlic bologna is awesome.

13 Likes

As a kid i was pretty picky myself, and while i did eat a good variety of things i did prefer to eat things with ham, deviled ham, or hot dogs. Lot of pork products. As a result i have a dislike of processed pork, i wouldnā€™t say that i hate it but i donā€™t prefer it but iā€™ll occasionally make exceptions.

8 Likes

Not this week, though, of course :anguished:

I feel sorry for all the people affected.

8 Likes

Yes, I am aware, and, in fact, posted about that somewhere up above. I was affected. Or, rather, my dogs were. They are ok, thankfully, but they had some upset tummies for a couple of days. Which my carpet suffered for.

ETA: I didnā€™t give them garlic bologna. We give them liverwurst on occasion as a treat.

8 Likes

Oh, yes, sorry! I was thinking that someone had posted about it recentlyā€¦thought it was in a different threadā€¦didnā€™t recall that it was you!

7 Likes

I posted it here first, and then, per Mindyā€™s suggestion, in the thread for product recalls.

7 Likes

Sick Gluten Free GIF by Travis

4 Likes

Itā€™s to help the ethylene (sp?) gas escape so that the melon doesnā€™t go overripe too quickly. Weā€™re used to net bags for groups like onions or potatoes, but it works for lots of produce.

12 Likes

Campbellā€™s Cream of Mushroom Soup Rice, but the way my mom made, not how Campbells suggests.

A cup or so of rice, fry in some oil until lightly toasted. Dump in the soup, 2 cans of water. Bring to a simmer until done, perhaps 15 mins.

Tried it recently with their ā€œsalt freeā€ mushroom soup (bought be accident). Do not recommend. I pray my doctor never tells me to go salt free.

10 Likes

i remember doing that with their clam chowder and minute rice. one can soup, no water and one can minute rice heated then covered. yup, that was another ā€œdishā€ i could make for brother and me.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve been drinking chamomile tea at bedtime the last few nights, and I think Iā€™m actually sleeping better. Maybe itā€™s just a placebo effect, but I donā€™t care. I have a friend in upstate New York who actually grows his own chamomile and makes his own tea from it. I should try that.

10 Likes

I have been wanting to do the same, and also attempt to grow lavender. Iā€™ve been unsure how these would handle the Texas heat though and what would be the best time to plant the seeds :thinking:

7 Likes

We grow lavender in central Texas. It gets direct sun in the AM and handles dry conditions well. Flowers just fine. Planted it in amended black prairie clay. You will want good drainage though
@danimagoo I absolutely need to get some chamomile tea. Melatonin works but makes my dreams even weirder and sometimes affects my mood the next day. My dreams are weird enough.

9 Likes

The chamomile seems to just be making me really chill, which just seems to make it easier to fall asleep. I donā€™t think itā€™s supposed to be anxiety reducing, but thatā€™s what it feels like.

7 Likes

That sounds like something that could be really useful for me. Do you have a preferred brand?

6 Likes

Iā€™ve only tried one. Twinings.

7 Likes

When we were on vacation at our Bolinas house, we had foods that we didnā€™t eat at home.
Fried bologna was one of those delights!

7 Likes

If I can add my voice: Celestial Seasonings. They make not only a regular Chamomile tea but also a bunch of Sleepytime versions:

9 Likes

I have two memories about fried bologna from when I was a small child. As I mentioned above, I was the youngest childā€¦so these kind of went down in family history as cute things that [zfirphdn] did when she was littleā€¦

Fried bologna sandwiches were a childhood favorite. But one day when my mom asked me what Iā€™d like for lunch, I brightly replied Iā€™d like a fried bologna sandwich please, unfried, without the bread. They never let me live that down :woman_shrugging:t2:

At another time, when the family was having lunch at the kitchen table, I was eating a bologna sandwich and talking about something. I was gesticulating with the sandwich in my hand, and the family dog jumped up and snatched the sandwich away with her mouth. I immediately climbed down from the chair and wrestled the dog for that sandwich, and I won! I got that sandwich back and finished eating it. I still canā€™t quite believe I managed to get it before the dog swallowed it. Such was the importance of bologna sandwiches.

11 Likes