Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Hard-to-beat grilled chicken with salt and pepper and rubbed with olive oil after air-drying in the refrigerator.

15 Likes

That chicken looks delicious!
It also looks like it got caught when you lifted the grill lid and is trying to preserve its modesty. :joy:

16 Likes

That’s giving me Venus of Willendorf vibes!

18 Likes

Any ideas of how to use up some fresh hops? Here are the limits we must work within:
No beer brewing or anything involving beer
No hops ice-cream (tried that once, did not like)
We don’t have a ton, maybe a few double handfuls

I was wondering if they’d make good iced tea? Or an infusion in either honey or oil?
What do you all think?

9 Likes

Day Leg GIF

11 Likes

It’s actually suggested to be anxiolytic, mainly anecdotal I believe, there’s scant good clinical research. It has a gamish of potential compounds, a couple are thought to be mildly psychoactive.
Proposed study to answer that question and a discussion of the current research:

6 Likes

My “clear out the fridge and feed us” pasta salad:

Kalamata olives, feta, grape tomatoes, cukes, quick pickled red onion, roasted cauliflower, pepperoni, cilantro, black beans. Dressing is tahini, mustard, lemon juice and some of the onion pickle juice.

10 Likes

Well, hops are a bittering agent with citrus and floral notes, right?

That sounds like something ideal for a cucumber and cold noodle salad.

Or a marinade/braising liquid for a subtle-flavored fish like seabass. I really like seabass braised in black tea, for example. Steeped hops would be an interesting substitute.

Just some ideas. I’m the weirdo who lives in fresh hops wonderland and when I finally brewed something beer-like, didn’t use hops.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

11 Likes

i will not give any credence to this idea that a “woo-ish” girlfriend once gave me for using excess of my homegrown cascade hops, but i’ll share it if it resonates for you:
hops dream pillow.

not food related, but offering as a use for leftovers.
and what better addition to the topic but what to do with leftovers.

my use for the extra was definitely to make not just more beer, but more hoppy beer!

12 Likes

Yes! :joy:

6 Likes

More food memories .
I was in the US Air Force and Reserve. Boot camp in Texas there was a Master Sargent who as far as I know who’s only Job apparently was traveling around the base with two 55 gallon oil drums welded together on wheels just to grill brisket and chicken. He used post oak for the fire and coals. Best damn beef I have ever eaten!

The other, ‘ Shit-on-a-Shingle’, chipped beef on toast from the mess hall. Really!
I loved that shit.

10 Likes

I’d treat them like an herb. Taste one to get a sense of the flavors and what might be good. Maybe saute one really quick in olive oil. Hop and olive oil bruschetta or herb butter spread; marinade or rub for meat or tofu: subbed for rosemary in an herb bread; cold pasta salad; tomato, hops and mozz salad.

I’ve never had fresh hops and it sounds like a fun experiment

ETA: maybe something like pesto but with hops? You could freeze that to preserve.

6 Likes

Ooh, I like that idea. Especially a yeasty, malty bread. It would be like IPA in a solid form!

8 Likes

While you decide, you can pack them in vacuum bags and seal them up tight and freeze them until you figure something out. Oxidation will ruin them.

10 Likes

Hops can be used as a relaxing, sleep-encouraging tea.

7 Likes

:hushed:

8 Likes

Well it’s a good thing I don’t like dark chocolate.

7 Likes

‘Swhat I were thinkin.’ My BF likes it, tho he rarely buys it.

6 Likes

Guess I’m screwed!

6 Likes

When the first studies started coming out I was so sad and worried. I fluv dark chocolate and had begun to give my kid pieces too. They were 5 at the time and it seemed like a few squares were a healthy-ish treat once a week. This was on top of the cocoa power my spouse used to make bran muffins the kid eats for breakfast.
I still have dark chocolate but it is an occasional thing and the kid almost never gets it. Lead or cadmium are really bad for a growing brain. We also tried our best to find the least risky cocoa powder for the muffins. And reduce the amount.

Cat Love GIF

9 Likes