Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I’ve mentioned this before, but I actually like French’s yellow mustard. If you look at the ingredients list @Kii mentioned, but look at it as printed on the label, the order the ingredients are listed in tells you what there’s the most of. They have to list the ingredients in the order of how much of that ingredient is in the product. They don’t tell you amounts, obviously, but you at least can see what the stuff mostly is. For French’s, vinegar is listed first, followed by water. So it’s mostly vinegar. Mustard seed is third, though. Specifically, “#1 Grade Mustard Seed,” whatever that means. I don’t usually like grainy mustards. It’s not a flavor issue, it’s a texture issue. I just don’t like it.

5 Likes

Tonight: air fryer tonkatsu:

The best one used kewpie mayo as the binder instead of egg wash in the triple dredge.

15 Likes

Thinned with anything or just straight?

5 Likes

Lazy Saturday night kedgeree, made with a whole hot-smoked trout.

For reasons long lost in time it’s known as “Midgerie Marjorie Kedgeree”. It might be a mutated Fry And Laurie* reference, but it’s too long ago to be certain.

*or this one.

10 Likes

What comes off the production line when you switch the big lever from “cheese” to “mustard”?

6 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

I’ll often use that mustard (or brown) along with egg in fried chicken (or fish/veggies) to add slight tang and bite to fried foods, between the flour and bread crumbs steps.

6 Likes

Straight, though I think you could thin it with a little soy sauce and it would still work.

6 Likes

This what KFC calls a chicken nugget.

6 Likes

what do you call it?

5 Likes

Ok, maybe the size isn’t coming across. These things are tiny. More like popcorn chicken.

6 Likes

oh. i see what you mean.

5 Likes

chicken-nuggets-gif-1

9 Likes

Tiny nugs… :thinking:

5 Likes

Red Gold makes tolerable ketchup. They are a trustworthy brand.

I dislike yellow mustard like French’s. I much prefer stone ground, Dijon, shpicy brown, etc. I got spoilt working at a German deli, getting all sorts of Löwensenf mustards on an employee discount. Yum!

Honey mustard is V useful for making sauces with whom to slather hams and corned beef before baking.

Yes, I baked a corned beef. What a PITA, but so good and falling apart tender. Gotta boil it awhile first to get most of the salt out of it, which is what makes it such a pain. Add the spice packet or pickling spice to the water, as if it were going to stay in it. After boiling it as long as the recipe suggests, fish it out, pat it dry, stick it in a baking dish, and cover it well w/the recipe’s sauce before baking.

Bring the water back to a boil, so the veg can be cooked in it during the last half hour or so of baking. Throw in the cabbage, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, etc. at the right times for them to be neither over- nor underdone. Red cabbage comes out much tastier, a lot less floppy, and it’s even way less stinky.

Massive Bonus: red cabbage also makes the water, celery, carrots, and the potatoes turn purple. Can’t recco it enough. Love to make a purple sauce with it someday.

9 Likes

I use my slow cooker for corned beef. It’s one of the few things I use it for anymore.

8 Likes

My son loves ketchup and Portland Ketchup is his go-to.

Whenever I can find it, Lowensenf is fantastic, especially their Bavarian sweet. Takes me back to my time in Munich.

I do the same but in the smoker. It’s a lot of work but it’s so good!

6 Likes

just made this very flavorful fish dish for the mum and me: chermoula snapper. we have an abundance of snapper and tuna in the freezer (not been a good year for grouper. pity )
blended up the sauce and let the snapper filets marinate overnight. then cooked in the air fryer. served with steamed white rice and asparagus.
recipe below, but as Ms. Cloake gave several recommendations from various chefs, i “interpreted” my own variation as follows:
1 bunch (60 grams after trim) flat leaf parsley
1 bunch (~70g, trimmed) cilantro
3 fat cloves garlic
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1tsp salt
3 Tbsp EVOO
juice of 2 lemons
4 chili peppers
blitzed in the food processor into a paste and rubbed/ slathered on the fish to marinate.
air fryer at 390F for 12 minutes, or until fork passes cleanly through.
big flavor! 10/10 will make again!

11 Likes

Ah, a smoker!

Keep an eye out for pimento (allspice) wood. Jerk isn’t real jerk w/o cooking it over a fire w/some pimento wood in it.

8 Likes

Gotta say, fried eggs in olive oil. Home pickled young red torpedo onions and jalapeño peppers. All served with local Petaluma levain style bread.

https://dellafattoria.com/

15 Likes