Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Inspired by the sausage roll thread, I made sausage rolls. Mainly as a road lunch for a trip I’m taking tomorrow, but I had to have one to try fresh, of course.

I used the Paul Hollywood rough puff dough I mention in the post linked below, and I seasoned pork mince with the seasonings provided by @Gordon_Simpson mentioned there.

They taste great!

19 Likes

Bonus baby el-Wahly at the end!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :face_holding_back_tears: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :face_holding_back_tears: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :face_holding_back_tears:

Also… this bit cracked me up…

She’s just staring at the uni…

8 Likes

Sea Urchins are a problem here in California. Solution? Eat them!
Cheers!

8 Likes

Be sure to stare at them for a minute first… :laughing:

7 Likes

Grilling these fresh “fruits” ( I know!) on the Weber today.
Learning that these are fruits really tickles me.
Cheers!

11 Likes

those look like the jalapenos i am getting this year. are yours in direct sun, too? they are very tasty and hot, hot!
those aubergines look perfect! not a crack or blemish!
baba ganouj?

5 Likes

I understand the need to eat them, but god, they taste like seaweed left on a beach for a week in the sun. One of the few foods I’ve said, “Ok I tried it, never again”.

5 Likes

what’s wrong with sun-dried seaweed, i ask, humbly?
the freshest urchin i ever had was in Puget Sound, on a dive with my first wife and a guide who showed us how to collect a few. we all sat on a rock at the water’s edge and he showed us how to open them and what part to eat.
salty, fishy butter! phenomenal

7 Likes

Not dried seaweed, wet, sitting in hot sun for a week.

I tried it at a sushi place where everything else I enjoyed, maybe it’s how they prepared it?

5 Likes

I don’t know about the squash, but the others are also true berries, unlike strawberries and raspberries, which aren’t actually berries at all. English is weird.

6 Likes

ETA: cucumbers and squash are considered pepo, a modified type of berry

14 Likes

Roasted potatoes and radishes, with salmon with dill and scallions. The radishes were kind of watery and bland. May try starting them before the potatoes, and will quarter some, see if that improves the texture/taste.

7 Likes

Fresh sweet corn, prepared Nero Wolfe style (baked in the oven in the husk at 500 deg for 45 min):

I just rubbed it with a hint of butter and it was amazing. It isn’t birthday cake, but in addition to the corn flavor there is also a sweet cake flavor to it that I’ve never had with any other preparation.

16 Likes

Psychic marination!

3 Likes

Lets just say, my cast iron pan “got used”, then “got burned” then “got filled with water and left outside for a week to soak”.

I finally got all the rust off. Now how to season it?

Yep, that’s bare metal there.

14 Likes

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

17 Likes

How to season a cast iron pan, you say?

Awkward Red-Faced GIF by moodman

Jinx, @Kii (sort of)…

18 Likes

If you’re legitimately asking, just wipe it down really good with a high smoke point oil. Some people will say you have to use this oil or that oil, or can’t use this oil or that oil, but honestly, as long as it’s a high smoke point oil (i.e. not olive oil), you should be fine. Then basically bake it in your oven. Also, less is more as far as how much oil to use.

9 Likes

I was partially serious. Mostly poking the bear :slight_smile:

10 Likes

4f2c70c23056c33911d9ce10f67bdd3a-2130355958

14 Likes