Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

7 Likes

as you wish the princess bride GIF

6 Likes

I have to recommend a coulis, goes very well baked into a jam tart, or poured over a cheesecakeā€¦

13 Likes

Perhaps a liqueur? Infuse some high proof neutral booze for a nice addition to your bar.

8 Likes

i used to do that when i lived in Issaquah, WA. picked many gallons of blackberries on the west side of Tiger Mt.
made a lovely cordial that was delightful on top of vanilla ice cream!

10 Likes

Yours look so good. You inspired me!

Wondering how much baking powder you used.

In the past Iā€™ve just used flour, salt, and waterā€”no leavening. You inspired me to try them with baking powder. They came out great! I used the proportions from King Arthur for Skillet Flatbreads:
3 cups unbleached AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Ā½ teaspoons table salt
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water

except for flour I used 2:1 whole wheat:unbleached AP wheat flour. And as you can see above, they call for oil too, which I did use. My dough was so soft and pliable! It patted right out, no need at all for a rolling pin. Iā€™m so pleased. This is the way.

(In the photo are leftover ones from last night. They are cold from the fridge, can you tell that in the picture?)

15 Likes

Anybody here like ranch dressing? I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever even had it, but apparently itā€™s very popular. And now, deep-fried at the MN State Fair!

(gift link) [edit: where is the photo? The one-box shows a photo in the composing/editing window here, but it disappeared when posted.]

[ā€¦]

They tried wonton wrappers. They adjusted the filling, landing on a mix of buttermilk and cream cheese and dressing. They fried them with and without breading. At one point, they considered putting them on a stick.

[ā€¦]

The pre-stuffed, frozen triangles will be sent into the fryer on site at LuLuā€™s [LuLuā€™s Public House, a 24-year vendor at the MN State Fair]. And they come out hot. Approach deep-fried ranch like another Minnesota-made concoction: the juicy Lucy. (Nibble cautiously around the edges first, so you donā€™t burn the roof of your mouth.)

A four-piece order is $12.

[ā€¦]

7 Likes

Iā€™ve never been a fan of ranch dressing. I donā€™t hate it. Iā€™m just ambivalent.

6 Likes

Spouseā€™s homemade ranch with fresh herbs, yes (Iā€™d give you the recipe but he hasnā€™t followed one in a decade). Very select few varieties at certain restaurants. Anything in a bottle? Yuck. Particularly hidden valley ranch
Iā€™d probably try this. Mostly for the intriguing hot honey.

8 Likes

Ironic, since that is literally the original ranch dressing.

8 Likes

If iā€™m being honest i think ranch is just ok. I like it in certain things but i donā€™t need it on my food, generally something spicy is going to be my go to and if its for a salad i would rather have a vinaigrette.

6 Likes

Maybe it started good? Itā€™s pure evil now.

5 Likes

Reading the Wikipedia entry, it seems a lot of changes were made when it transitioned from being a salad dressing made at a steakhouse that they sold in small batches to customers, to a full commercial, shelf-stable, bottled product. Itā€™s not the first time thatā€™s happened. Wish-Bone Italian salad dressing was originally the house dressing at a chicken restaurant called the Wish Bone in Kansas City. The restaurant is long gone, much like the original Hidden Valley Ranch in Santa Barbara. Interestingly, that style of Italian salad dressing was the most popular salad dressing in the US until ranch dressing passed it some time in the 80s.

8 Likes

Thereā€™s a pizza place in the area called Ranch Pizza. They give you a house made ranch dressing to dip your crusts in thatā€™s out of this world. I donā€™t really like other ranches.

7 Likes

Not to be confused with Pizza Ranch, which is the Hobby Lobby of pizza buffets.

9 Likes

Flatbread seems to be part of all cultures and cuisines. A recipe like the one you shared is worth having in everyoneā€™s cookbook. Thank you.
Pizza is a flatbread! :pizza:

6 Likes

Update!

So, the Star Tribuneā€™s Taste team is reporting from the State Fair, as they try all the new foodsā€¦
(gift link)

Their very first stop this morning, the very first day of the fair, was for the deep-fried ranch with hot honey. They pronounced it ā€œworth the hypeā€. Thatā€™s it in the photo in the one-box here. (I wonder why the photo showed up this time, but not in my previous post?)

5 Likes

Gazpacho, fresh corn and garlic bread:

Used frozen fresh tomatoes.

14 Likes

tumblr_46c0376ec3f79465b92a2051b1d53ef9_a214e084_1280

6 Likes

Reminds meā€¦ Chef John had a pasta salad recipe with gazpachoā€¦

6 Likes