Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

6 Likes

This is what we use:

It is nicely portioned in packets.

We’ve used the jar powder in the past but I don’t have any right now for reference.

6 Likes

Not surprised, not the first time i’ve had these kinds of observations and conversations. The US likes to fetishize/exoticize other cultures, the clothes, the food, the music, etc. Americans love tacos, Selina, Acapulco, Margaritas, Cinco de Mayo, Mariachi, Dia de los Muertos, etc. They sure love everything about Mexican culture, except the people, their needs, and their current plight. Nah, we don’t focus on those uncomfortable things.

Edit: I must also add that at the end of the day, these things can have a positive impact for people in other cultures and it can help demystify these communities to Americans. That still doesn’t excuse or absolve problematic behavior, be respectful of other people’s culture.

9 Likes

It depends on the use for me.

Powdered dashi is great for simmered dishes where you have to really measure out how much you’re using. (HonDashi is my go to)

I use liquid concentrated dashi for dipping sauce with noodles or to add a dash of flavor to something like miso soup. (Which ever is on sale)

7 Likes

That is the jarred kind we use sometimes.

2 Likes

I made a joke to Laurie about our chicken salad tonight.
“ When making the salad, what came first, the chicken or the egg?”
She didn’t think it was funny.

5 Likes