Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

You inspired me.

Ready for the oven. Pork chops with Cajun seasoning. Cauliflower steamed, blended, mixed with Parmesan, pats of butter, paprika. Spaghetti casserole: spaghetti, vodka sauce, mozzarella, Parmesan.

All found foraging the kitchen. The cauliflower needed a bit of whittling to remove the dark spots. But it was fine.

Ready for the plate. Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce to finish

Ready for bed.

9 Likes

Alton Brown tweeted his own definition of a sandwich.
According to Brown, a sandwich is “any food designed to be conveyed to the mouth by fingers whereby the food and fingers are separated by leavened bread which directly juxtaposes at least two sides of the filling and is consumed along with the filling.”

6 Likes

Reporting back : it was delicious.
I worked from three different recipes, but basically cubed and boiled eggplant for 10 minutes (didn’t peel it), saved a cup of the cooking water.
Chopped and sautéed about 1.5 onions in butter for about 15 minutes, added corn (cut from the cob) for the last 6 minutes.
Removed from heat, stirred in the cooked eggplant and 2 beaten eggs. Mixed in remaining uncooked 1/2 onion, green pepper, cayenne, pepper and salt and 1/2 C of the eggplant cook water.
Mixed in 1 C grated cheddar and about the same amount of bread crumbs (I made a mix from random crackers in the pantry).
Poured it all into a casserole, topped with some more bread crumbs, slices of Swiss cheese we had to use up, and another sprinkle of breadcrumbs.
Baked at 375F for about 35 minutes. I kept it covered at first since Swiss cheese can get dry, but uncovered it for the last few minutes.
Seems like a pretty great “use up the produce before it goes bad” recipe! It held together like a good lasagna when serving, didn’t get all soupy. The corn and the un-sautéed veggies lent a nice crunch.

10 Likes

So an open-faced sandwich is right out.

7 Likes

OK, I had some really good sweet corn from the farmers market, so I went ahead and tried the “Nero Wolfe” corn on the cob. (Roast in the shuck in the oven at 500 deg F for 40 minutes)

In many ways, it’s much easier than other methods, except for grilling. Grilling has the same prep but takes less time.

I have to say, it was really good. I get what Wolfe says, that boiling corn robs it of flavor. That said, I’d put it on par with corn roast on a grill with olive oil, salt, and pepper. It’s just different. It focuses more on the corn flavor, but it’s missing that carmelization that you get on the grill.

10 Likes

And folding a NYC pizza slice in half makes one.

9 Likes

Was just having this conversation over dinner. :joy:
ETA for clarification: according to that definition:

Not a sandwich

Sandwich

12 Likes

At which point does it transition from not-sandwich to sandwich? Is there a point where pizza can exist as a superposition of both states?

15 Likes

I submit that topographically, two slices of pizza together makes a sandwich, but what you show is in fact a taco.

11 Likes

If the taco uses leavened bread, it’s a sandwich.

9 Likes

You just blew my mind. Thanks

9 Likes

Plumbing the depths of this TIL that there is, in fact, a Quantum Pizza Cheese Applicator. So, yes.

7 Likes

Counterpoint:

Chicago stuffed pizza (not tavern, pan, or deep dish pizza) includes a second layer of the crust on top, covered by one final thin layer of sauce and/or cheese.

I think we can all agree that THAT is a pizza sandwich.

9 Likes

Excellent question!
We have a slight family disagreement on this. The Mr. says Alton’s definition needs to include something about space between the toppings, so if the toppings aren’t touching, even if every other part of the definition is met, it’s not a sandwich.
It’s such a weighty issue, between this and the whole “is it too tall to take a bite of,” question, I’m finding it hard to wrap my head around. :wink:

9 Likes

Egads, now I’m in the, “so wait, a calzone is a sandwich?!?” part of this thought exercise.
I think Alton’s definition might need something to clarify that the fillings can’t be completely hemmed in…
But then that means a slice of a large calzone is a sandwich.
I can see why this debate is not yet settled.
BRB, I have to go sharpen some knives and clean my cast iron skillet.

9 Likes

Nonsense. A calzone is a dumpling.

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

11 Likes
9 Likes

It’s funny how little I hear of the dumpling debate…maybe once people think about the word, and how it really should mean a tiny poo, they start giggling too much to argue

9 Likes

I think the folded pizza slice has to be turned so that the crusts are horizontal. Then it’s a sandwich.

5 Likes

Ha ha, I notice that one of the examples for “sandwich” is a toast sandwich, lol.

7 Likes