Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Just made a batch of these to go with some little “friends’ presents” and having a hard time not eating them all up. Will make a double batch next time!

I followed a note from the reviews and added 1 T of milk (it was half and half) to make the dough more workable. And I baked in the convection oven, it ended up taking about twice as long as the recipe said.
It’s a tea theme this year. To go with them, I’m making a blend of a bunch of dried herbs and flowers for tea. Some mix of calendula, bee balm, lemon balm, mint, maybe some dried citrus peel…

10 Likes

Just a small question, that’s gherkin, anchovy, and something white pickled then?

5 Likes

Gherkin, anchovy, hard boiled egg white. The proportions are important. The anchovy should be the length of the gherkin. The egg white should be thin, and about half the gherkin.

8 Likes

Next batch will be with macadamia nuts instead of pecans.

7 Likes

As much as I really love vintage Cook Books, this link to 100yo cocktail books are wonderful! :raised_hands:t2: ‘Giggle Water’

10 Likes

Ooh, that sounds good. This recipe called for walnuts, but I did consider pecans, since we had some.
I also thought about mixing some of the extra chopped nuts with the powdered sugar for the final coating, but I usually like to stick to the recipe for the most part the first time I make something. And now that I’ve made them, I don’t know that the finely chopped nuts would stick to the outside of the cookie balls without some extra treatment.

(Yes, okay, insert Schwetty Balls references as needed. :wink: )

7 Likes

As I have some slightly stale macadamia nuts I think I will give that a try!

5 Likes

Schwetty Balls For the win!

4 Likes
10 Likes

same holds true for the holiday ham!

9 Likes

I can see a bunch of scientists in white coats peering into a refrigerator with a large clock in the background. A Gary Larsen Far Side idea?

7 Likes

who says shrimp n grits is not a Christmas dinner? not us!

(besides, we had glazed ham, spaghetti squash, mashed spuds and green salad yesterday)

12 Likes

If you like

And all that pimp shit / Everybody let me hear you say “Oh-yeah-yer”

5 Likes

If you like hot mustard, this is hot mustard. My nose is running hot!

11 Likes

Xmas dinner. Beef tenderloin, mushroom Gorgonzola risotto, green bean casserole, cauliflower Parmesan.

The cauliflower Parmesan is simplicity.

1 head cauliflower, boiled until just soft
1 cup grated parm
1 cup mayonnaise

Mix mayo and parm. Slather on the boiled cauliflower. Cook @350 for 30 minutes or until it begins to bubble.

12 Likes
10 Likes

AfD: If we don’t act now, there will be Doner shops on every corner!

Sane Germans: MORE DONER SHOPS!! YAY!!

9 Likes

It was the best of times, it was the wurst of times….

6 Likes

I think I have discovered ‘leftovers decadence’.

Behold a brown buttered roll, smoked salmon on one side, chicken-liver pate on the other.

Close and enjoy. It was delish.

eta: forgot the pic.

10 Likes

My leftovers evolution went like this:
Extra apples from applesauce became apple crisp.
Extra apple crisp became apple-oatmeal breakfast.
Extra oatmeal added to extra apple-oatmeal breakfast, then half was blended with eggs, milk, flour, a bit of sugar and cinnamon, all mixed together and became pancakes for breakfast today.
Finally, we have dealt with the aging apples and the cooked oats!
Next up, taking the leftover stuffed artichokes and puréeing them with stock and cream into soup.

13 Likes