Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

You have no idea how weird that looks to me, having grown up associating asparagus with:

Spargel-25590-detailp

251px

11 Likes
4 Likes

There’s a farm near me, need to go get a box to bbq…

4 Likes

If you’ve never had it it’s fucking phenomenal.

4 Likes

Oh, trust me, I know how wonderful white asparagus is!

Meanwhile, I went out and checked, and there were a total of only 6 spears still growing, so I grabbed them for dinner. Our growing season starts pretty late, so it’s going to be a while before most of the beds are ready to eat.

9 Likes

I mean specifically white asparagus soup.

Asparagus soup is great in general, but it’s one of the few places I prefer white.

5 Likes

I can totally imagine why. If white asparagus were easy to get, I’d definitely try it.

5 Likes

Got a bag of Meyer lemons the other day and today I managed to peel off the zest and juice them (there were only 6) so that I can make whatever with them and not find them mushy and moldy in the fridge in a week or two. I’m thinking lemon pudding cake.

7 Likes

Smoked spring Chinook salmon:

12 Likes

Pop round for dinner some time when you’re in the area.

8 Likes

Sounds like a plan!!!

6 Likes

Know where your food comes from.
Funny or mean?
Both?
From Instagram feed:

8 Likes

I got a mini waffle-maker. (Yes, I did post here before about getting a cast iron waffle iron—it didn’t work out, for reasons I’ll tell you later.)

The light is on! It’s heating up! Eyeglasses for scale:

Another, awfully similar, image, but it wouldn’t be fair not to show you the brownies:

I was wanting to try brownies in a waffle maker, as suggested by @BakerB in Part 1 of this topic. Because I like the edges best, you know? I hoped the whole thing would come out more like the edge pieces. Plus I live at the top of an old Victorian house (meaning: in a renovated attic space) with no A/C, so, I don’t use the oven during the Summer.

And there I was walking around the big store with the red circular logo for the requisite 10-15 minutes after getting my second Covid-19 booster shot, and there was this little bitty waffle maker on sale for $7.99 + tax (regularly $12.99). It looks like a toy, could it possibly be any good? I went home and looked it up, and reviews were overwhelmingly positive on various sites (with a very few that said it broke after making one waffle, etc.). So I went back the next day and bought one.

The waffles it makes are 4” across, and it takes about 5 minutes for each to bake. I used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate brownie mix (with the additional egg and less water, that the instructions suggest for thicker brownies—that’s the way I make it in a pan). It worked pretty good :smiley: Now I’m looking forward to enjoying brownies even in hot weather!

Also, it’s perfect for my small kitchen (which is about 6 ft. x 6 ft., not counting the refrigerator which is outside that area). The kitchen counter, which you see in the pics above, is 11½ inches deep, not counting the quarter-round molding.

The cast iron waffle maker didn’t work out because my small kitchen has a small “apartment size” (20 inches wide) stove, which has four burners but all four are small. The gas ring on each is 2¼ inches across. It’s just not big enough to heat a large surface evenly—no matter how I adjusted the flame, or how long I let the waffle iron heat up, the waffles came out overdone/burnt at the center and not done at the outside edge. And once I figured out that the problem was the stove/burners, then I understood why I never could make decent pancakes either. So, an electric waffle maker now seems the way to go, for me.

13 Likes

Okay! I want waffles now, more than ever.:waffle:

6 Likes

Aw, I should have looked for the waffle emoji! Now that you’ve made me hip to it, I may be using it frequently :slight_smile:

Yesterday I made cornbread waffles, and today I made leftover-mashed-potato waffles :slight_smile: :waffle: :waffle:

8 Likes

Funny?I was just looking at a brownie recipe.

6 Likes

Every part that sentence is awesome.

9 Likes

Made waffles from a mix of breakfast sausage, shredded cheddar, buttermilk and some flour. In a mini waffle maker. Pretty good, but ne t time I’m making the mix a bit looser.
Tonight it was lemon pepper lake trout from the air fryer and steamed asparagus and boiled tiny new potatoes. Eaten on the screen porch-first meal of the year.

9 Likes

One more waffle memory.
Grandma used to start some bacon in the waffle iron and then add the waffle batter.
A childhood savory taste memory.

5 Likes

Reheat pizza.

Also stuffing.

Also making scallion pancakes up in there.

If I didn’t have my g-pa’s 50’s vintage waffle maker I’d probably burning though tiny ones like that.

3 Likes