Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Mother Keller’s pickled young red onions, plus I added fresh jalapeños.
White vinegar, splash of Apple vinegar, olive oil, whole black pepper ( wait? I think I forgot that ) pinch of salt and sugar.
I sit at room for a few hours the into the refer.

8 Likes

Seen on the interwebs.
A different take on chicken stock. Saving up a bag-o-chicken part in the freezer to try this.

9 Likes

Do you mean the ginger, when you say ‘a different take’?

4 Likes

Who doesn’t put ginger in their broth? I have a dedicated shelf in the freezer for celery hearts, chicken/beef/pork/fish/turkey bones, sprouted garlic, onion hearts, that last bit of ginger on the root, carrot tops, etc. When it’s time to make broth, it all goes in the pot.

5 Likes

Yes. Never tried only ginger and green onions.

4 Likes

Agreed, all great broth flavor builders. I will add ginger now too.
Mostly chicken backs left over from spatchcocking.

5 Likes

spatchcocking

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

4 Likes

BtW spatchcocking did not originally come from roadkill. :wink:

3 Likes

Chicken stock with ginger.
Leftover pasta warmed in water and stock added with green onions, jalapeño and pork belly.
Yes pork belly sliced into small strips first cooked a few nights ago.
Leftovers and reruns.

9 Likes

Potato soup:

13 Likes

Simple and wonderful breakfast.Just add espresso.

13 Likes

And a little pepper!

6 Likes

Spent the day mostly baking- sandwich rye, English muffins, buckwheat cardamom chocolate chunk cookies and lemon pudding cakes.
Finished off by making fajitas and guacamole for dinner.
Now to tackle dish mountain!

9 Likes

I do add Sriracha to both sometimes. :hot_pepper:

5 Likes

Good one. BtW, I ‘try’ to clean as I cook. At least wipe off and rinse. ( did I say ‘try’?) Cheers!

4 Likes

my neighbors across the street have this tree in their yard that makes these curious fruit along the limbs and branches, turning green to red, before it leafs out. i thought (from across the way), it was figs. last night they were out with bags and a lacrosse stick, pulling them down. so i asked “what are those? figs?”
no. don’t know what they are, but they are delicious, look like tomatoes and taste like plums.
they insisted i take a bag (they had several):

totally delicious!
asked another neighbor (who i shared half the bag with) if he knew them. “barbados cherries” or more precisely, acerola cherries! ding! ding! superduper loaded with vitamin c! did i mention super delicious?!
going to find a jelly recipe and work up a real treat!

13 Likes

Wow! That’s a new on on me. Nice neighbors too.

6 Likes

Okay! I have a coffee problem!
I love all methods of making it.

20 years ago I collected many from the local flea market.

9 Likes

Went out camping this weekend and decided to make some spruce tip tea for the first time. Delicious! And allegedly very nutritious.
I usually sweeten my coffee and tea slightly, but this stuff didn’t even need any. Though, for the evening cuppa, a splash of bourbon made a very nice addition.
We also went clamming for the first time, and that was great. We got enough for a good meal. Let them “clean” in a pot of seawater with some rock weed overnight, then steamed them and dipped them in butter. A real bounty.
Have I mentioned how much I enjoy foraging?
Oh, and we also met a Korean woman out foraging a leaf I hadn’t known before. She called it “chi.” We ended up finding a bunch more and added it to our pasta dinner one night, and then fresh to our sandwiches. If anyone has any idea what it might be, let me know. I did a sketch but couldn’t ID it just from the leaves.

10 Likes

Bottled some Sage Limoncello.

15 Likes