Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

It feels like I’ve been without a kitchen for years, not months (just rolled into our second month on this balogna), but thank goodness for air fryers and gas grills! In a fun turn of events, we also tore our back deck off the house this weekend because it wasn’t safe. The grill is now on the ground below the sliding door that is just off the kitchen. I’ve been handing things down to Mr Gremlin and he’s been handing them back up to me, miraculously cooked.

Tonight’s dinner: grilled pork tenderloin and potato foil packets (potatoes, spices, onion, butter) with some of last night’s salad and a big old glass of wine.

Counting down the days until we have a functional kitchen again and living vicariously through my foodie mutant tribe until then.

13 Likes

I hear you. I’m on an extended (2 month +) stay in a different city (and country) where I rent a furnished apartment. It comes with a kitchenette that has two burners, a tiny hotel sized mini fridge and no oven, only a microwave. Oh, it also doesn’t have a pan, only two narrow pots.

9 Likes

Oh man!
Yes a lovely fish indeed.
Besides salmon fishing on a charter boats out of San Francisco ( got sea sick once ) I caught a Steelhead off the shore of Port Costa on the Sacramento River many years ago.
A wonderful eating fish too.
Congratulations and Cheers!

7 Likes

What’s a narrow pot?

Do you mean shallow, maybe?

Sorry, I’m just finding it impossible to picture, so I have to know!

6 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 7.23.23 AM

Not sure if @Doctor_Faustus meant narrow or shallow, but TIL that asparagus steamers are a thing.

8 Likes

That’s pretty much it. Not quite as narrow but picture a miniature stock pot of this one’s height

8 Likes

Do they assume you only cook spaghetti? Or asparagus, as @gremlin pointed out? Or one poached egg at a time? The mind boggles.

5 Likes

I think that’s literally it. They assume the average level of cooking skills or interest of their guests tops out at spaghetti with a jarred sauce.

I will be making Hungarian pörkölt later. That is something that can be made in a pot like that.

6 Likes

Holy Horseradish, Batman!
I got some dried horseradish root on the sale shelf at our local health food store. I’ve never used that stuff before.
I was making wraps for lunch, so hydrated some in a jar and let it sit while I did some other prep.
After about 15 minutes I grabbed the jar and wafted it under my nose for a big sniff to see if it was working.

11 Likes

The pots and pörkölt in question.

12 Likes

These are OK for asparagus (the labeled use), but mine gets the most use as a water bath canner for (very) small batch jam. It fits one mason jar, and the basket makes it easy to get out at the end.

Not granny’s summer canning session, but sometimes it’s use it or lose it on fruits or berries.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Very fatty pork belly. I am cutting the skin side and placing in a 375f oven in a sheet pan.

7 Likes

House Reaction GIF

4 Likes

Someday I will try it.

5 Likes

More pork! Salt and pepper on gas grill.
No after photo, we ate it.

6 Likes

Asparagus soup:

12 Likes

You’re wasting white asparagus on SOUP???

You monster!

4 Likes

What other asparagus is there?!? No soup for you!!!

Seriously, white asparagus is the default around here. Not that long ago you’d be hard pressed to find any green asparagus at all.

And anyway, you want a good soup, use good ingredients.

9 Likes

The last of my asparagus (the bed has been overtaken with weeds):

White asparagus is a luxury here. It’s easier to find morels than white asparagus, if that gives you some idea.

9 Likes