Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

7 Likes

Iā€™m just reading up on what to do with my rhubarb this year and found this delightful typo in a recipe for rhubarb upside down cake:

Pout on the orange juice and sprinkle with 1 cup of the sugar

:joy:

Source

9 Likes

Rabbit hole You Tube.
This guys commentary as he does his video is wonderful. ā€˜Better than Baconā€™ spam recipe. BtW never think you cannot make a video.
He did!

6 Likes

We always made a strawberry rhubarb sauce. Just a loose, pourable jam. Then had it on crepe, waffles or ice cream.

6 Likes

Bugs in your baking?

6 Likes

Oh no!

7 Likes

sausage-pen

6 Likes

Though not my favorite beer.
This is my favorite beer bottle.

6 Likes

Fun fact: watermelons have roughly as much iron as spinach.

11 Likes

Smoked salmon on the grill! And itā€™s my cake day!

14 Likes

Yes please!

8 Likes

Worlds greatest old man beer.

3 Likes

Climate change and rising costs are causing supermarkets in France to run out of dijon mustard, raising questions over whether the shortage could spread to other countries.

French mustard producers said seed production in 2021 was down 50% after poor harvests, which they said had been brought on by the changing climate in Franceā€™s Burgundy region and Canada, the second largest mustard seed producer in the world.

The war in Ukraine has further restricted seed supply, with both Ukraine and Russia being major exporters of the crop, something which has resulted in costs rocketing, said Vandermaesen.

The group tried to purchase 50 tonnes of seed on the market in April, which he said was ā€œsix times the normal price the year beforeā€.

Sad Mutant. (I mean, while Iā€™m firmly in the ketchup camp in terms of preference, this makes me sad for, you know, larger reasons.)

8 Likes

This grows all over the place hereā€¦ may be time to harvest some.

4 Likes

I think you mean, forage :wink:

6 Likes

Iā€™d say that if I had to put any effort into it, stuff grows everywhere around here, pops up in my garden if I let it.

6 Likes

Wild mustard. A photo from a neighbors front yard here in SF, and 2 types of mustard growing there.

Incidentally, the wild mustard all over California is black mustard. You can thank Father Junipero Serra for that one: He used mustard, which grows like a weed, to mark his travels in Alta California 250 years ago.

Also this: How to Make Mustard - Basic Mustard Recipe | Hank Shaw
And this: Brassica nigra - Wikipedia

9 Likes

White wine vinegar, salt and mustard seed for meā€¦ but Iā€™m probably not a super taster, so I like excess :smiley:

7 Likes

Caught my first spring Chinook salmon in 5-6 years yesterday:

These fish are the A5 Wagyu of salmon. They enter rivers in the spring instead of the fall, and have to live in freshwater without eating for months before they spawn. As such, they leave the ocean loaded with fat. When you grill them, they sizzle like ribeye.

Tonight was grilled springer with tagliatelle with morel mushroom cream sauce. Did I mention that the morels are in season at the farmersā€™ market?

I love spring!

11 Likes

Pineapple and chili shrimp over buckwheat noodles (Korean, so not soba) with steamed bok choy. I am now, gasp!, out of soy sauce. Guess Iā€™ll have to head over to Mitsuwa tomorrowā€¦

5 Likes